SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Van d' Stadt- How to check which paint to use

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Happy to find this Forum... I think it might be a great help on my big task of preparing my new bought Van D' Stadt 11mts, steel hull, for long term cuising with my wife and baby!!!

Next month I'll put her dry and most of the maintenance will be carried out by me and friends.
Not so experience in this kind of labour but eager to accomplish it correctly and without many expensive misstakes!

My first question goes to know if I need to remove in total my old deck paint or just paint on top? The only thing I notice is when I scrubb it with sweet water, the used water comes out a bit white (deck's colour).
But all in all I reckon that the present paint still makes good protection against enviroment since I cant see deep or big rusty areas.

Then, if good to paint on top, with which kind of paint? regular or epoxi?
Basicly I would like to know if there is any trick or method to check the present type of paint used on the deck. Since it's important to keep using the same kind due to compatibility reasons of the different layers.

thanks for the co-operation
Vasco

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.