SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

VHF/chart plotter help

780 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jlaskowsky73 
#1 ·
Merry Christmas everyone! I hope good fortune and health for all of us in this new year to come.

I have a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF radio w/AIS and GPS. I also have a Garmin 740S Chart plotter. I just had a Ray Marine ST2000+ installed by a reputable installer. After the install he also connected the VHF to my chart plotter using the NMEA 0183 Hi speed.

My problem is now when both units are powered on I cannot receive any transmissions with my VHF when both the VHF and chart plotter are on. I turn the chart plotter off and I can transmit and receive on my radio.

Both the VHF and the chart plotter are extremely close, but before they were connected via NMEA 0183 they worked flawlessly when they were both on. I have not called the installer on this yet because of the holidays. Has anyone run into this? How did you remedy this? Thanks in advance !!!

#2 ·
I wired our GX2150 into our Garmin 740 and never once encountered a problem like that. Before calling the installer I would call Stamdard Horizon and speak with their tech desk. Those people are great, and might know the answer. Depending on what they say, from there decide if you need to speak with the installer.

#4 ·
Second the notion that it sounds like a wiring hiccup when it was done. My GX2200 is connected via 183 to my CPN plotter, and never an issue from day one. But from when I wired it, I can certainly see that it could get a wire crossed by mistake, which is the only thing that makes sense after being done. And agreed that the SH support should easily be able to sort it out, if the installer isn't able to return to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.