SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hurth Transmission

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  VallelyJ 
#1 ·
We have a 4 cyl. Universal Atomic Diesel with a Hurth transmission.
When we put it into reverse the is a lag of about 4 seconds before it engages. Is the correction of this just an adjustment or is there something seriously wrong? Thanx for any and all help.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Am going to try each and see what happens starting with the least expensive of course. We are sailing (motoring) down the eastern Gulf coast and this just started after being out in some hellacious weather. Thanks again all.

#6 ·
Usually such hesitancy in engaging is old tranny fluid. I have had it happen, changed the fluid, and the problem disappeared. If it doesn't, run it a bit, then change it again. It looks clear on the dip stick ,but in a container, it looks like mud.

Reactions: PAULCR1
#7 ·
Have you disconnected the shift cable from the trans recently? If the shift lever on the trans doesn't have enough travel, you can get that problem. There are 2 holes on the lever to connect the cable to; if you re-connect the cable to the wrong one, you effectively shorten the lever's travel. Move the cable to the hole near the end of the lever. (I know because I did that once.)
Otherwise, as has been said, the solution is likely a repair/rebuild.
You can download an engine manual from the Westerbeke website that covers Hurth transmissions.
JV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.