Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
No windlass...its on the list. I believe the rope I have is 5/8 though. I am going to use the 'old' chain w new hardware and I'm adding a bow roller. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

I wasn't sure if he had a windlass or not, but did want to mention it since if he had one or was planning on upgrading to a windlass at some point, it would be better to have the rode that will fit it, rather than having to replace the rode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you're using 5/16" chain, I would recommend going with 9/16" or 5/8" rope, rather than 1/2" . Most windlasses for 5/16" chain require 9/16" or 5/8" rope. They're also a bit better matched in terms of strength.
Dog,

What size Rocna for a Gemini 105Mc?
Where is the best price today shipped to Florida?
There is a WM 25 miles or so from me.

Thanks

Last edited by therapy23; 04-05-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with a Rocna 15 for your boat. If you have the same philosophy about ground tackle I do, you might upsize to the Rocna 20... though the 15 would probably hold your boat in most conditions. I have the Rocna 15 on my boat, and it is probably a bit overkill. Maine Sail uses one as the primary on his CS36T IIRC, and that boat is a bit longer and heavier than your Gemini, but you have a bit more windage than he does.

You don't need one shipped to Florida, as West Marine now carries Rocnas, and you can order from West Marine and pick it up at the store—which sure beats shipping it from the Pacific NorthWest, where the North American manufacturer of the Ronca anchors is located.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
Dog,

Thanks

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-05-2009
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
Thanks
Refer Rocna sizing recommendations:
http://www.rocna.com/main.php?sectio...=sizing&page=0

I'd say that SD's comments above are on target.

An up-to-date list of American resellers is maintained here:
http://www.rocna.com/main.php?sectio...ge=0&region=na

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 04-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd go with a Rocna 15 for your boat. If you have the same philosophy about ground tackle I do, you might upsize to the Rocna 20... though the 15 would probably hold your boat in most conditions. I have the Rocna 15 on my boat, and it is probably a bit overkill. Maine Sail uses one as the primary on his CS36T IIRC, and that boat is a bit longer and heavier than your Gemini, but you have a bit more windage than he does.

You don't need one shipped to Florida, as West Marine now carries Rocnas, and you can order from West Marine and pick it up at the store—which sure beats shipping it from the Pacific NorthWest, where the North American manufacturer of the Ronca anchors is located.
Thanks,

When I went to the Rocna site for my length and moving up one on the chart for a cat I ended up with a 25 and there was one more option (in blue) higher still.
Old 04-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post
Refer Rocna sizing recommendations:
Rocna Anchors - Sizing Recommendations

I'd say that SD's comments above are on target.

An up-to-date list of American resellers is maintained here:
Rocna Anchors - Where to Buy
OOPS!

Read the chart wrong. Biggest listed - the 25 (55 lbs)
Old 04-05-2009
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Therapy, looking at the Rocna chart, a 34' monohull at 4 t is at the very low end of the range for the 15 (which is rated for a 36'er at 7 t), if that's where you are - one size up is the 20, and even the 15 at this point has a lot of overhead to allow for a cat. The 15 would be adequate for most usage; go with the 20 if you want to be super conservative, and if the rest of your gear is matched to it (or you're prepared to also upgrade it).

More on the Rocna sizing:
http://www.rocna.com/kb/Rocna_sizing_recommendations

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 04-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post
Therapy, looking at the Rocna chart, a 34' monohull at 4 t is at the very low end of the range for the 15 (which is rated for a 36'er at 7 t), if that's where you are - one size up is the 20, and even the 15 at this point has a lot of overhead to allow for a cat. The 15 would be adequate for most usage; go with the 20 if you want to be super conservative, and if the rest of your gear is matched to it (or you're prepared to also upgrade it).

More on the Rocna sizing:
Rocna sizing recommendations (Rocna Knowledge Base)
The cat is a Gemini. 8600 lbs from the factory, so let's say 11k max.
I'll check the rest of the gear. The chain looks really thin looking. Advertised as HT but don't know the size.
I haven't closed on the boat yet.
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

Therapy—

I'd recommend going with 5/16" G43 chain, if the windlass gypsy can handle it. Good luck on the survey and seatrial.

Telstar 28
New England