Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Therapy—

I'd recommend going with 5/16" G43 chain, if the windlass gypsy can handle it. Good luck on the survey and seatrial.
Thanks,

The windlass is a Lewmar pro series. I know it comes in two sizes but don't know which it has. If it is the 1/4 can I just change the gypsy for the 5/16th if I want to move up?

Man am I going to have a million questions if I get this boat and bring it home!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If Lewmar makes a 5/16" G43 high-test gypsy for it, yes, you can just swap them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-06-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up First experience with my new Rocna...

I actually purchased a Manson Supreme first, a 45#, but I couldn't get it to fit on my roller without some serious modification...it was tooo big anyway without a windlass. So I opted for the Rocna (33#) and got it wet for the first time yesterday. It set on the first attempt and dug in quick, then today it held confidently in a pretty serious thunderstorm with winds in the 40's shifting more than 180 degrees. I have 50' of chain spliced to rope.

Nice job Rocna.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-01-2012

Gundie is on a distinguished road
Re: I use a Manson Supreme...

Hi MaineSail.
Thanks for the great post. I am currently looking for a cruising anchor for my 22ft trimaran. At the monent I use a fortress for a day anchor as its so light & easy to handle, but had the same concerns as yourself about its ability to re set on tripping with tide change. What differences have you found between the performance of the supreme & rocna?
Graham
Old 06-02-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: I use a Manson Supreme...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundie View Post
Hi MaineSail.
Thanks for the great post. I am currently looking for a cruising anchor for my 22ft trimaran. At the monent I use a fortress for a day anchor as its so light & easy to handle, but had the same concerns as yourself about its ability to re set on tripping with tide change. What differences have you found between the performance of the supreme & rocna?
Graham
Was just on the club launch yesterday with another member who nearly lost their boat, a beautiful J 109, to a Fortress, we did too. Both of these situations were the same, middle of the night wind shifts followed by highish winds. In both cases the Fortress failed to re-set. They hit another boat, this was after being anchored in the same spot for three days, an that saved them from going onto the rocks. The owner of the J has ordered a brand new Spade , we are still using our Rocna....

I still love my Fortress, and they are a GREAT COMPANY THAT STANDS BEHIND THE PRODUCT. Sadly I will now only use it as a stern anchor where I know it can't be put in a situation where we need to relay on it re-setting. We will never again depend on it as a primary in the land of 10-20 foot tides and 360 swings nearly every night at anchor...

I have seen NO DIFFERENCE in performance between the Manson Supreme and the Rocna. They are both excellent performers.. Canada Metals, the new owners of Rocna, are a good company and if you can get one made under their production watch you should be fine.
T37Chef likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-11-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rocna Anchor

Defender sells the Ronca