SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rocna Anchor

46K views 115 replies 32 participants last post by  bvander66 
#1 ·
Is there a US source for this anchor? Also, I'd like some feedback from anyone who has practical experience with this anchor. Currently use a Delta, but looking for more hold. We'll be at the Annapolis show in a few weeks. Thanks.

#30 ·
Yes, probably a good idea, and helps with getting a good night's sleep. :D BTW, that's almost 10x what my boat displaces... ;) So, my Rocna 15 is probably a bit oversized...

#31 ·
so dog, would it be fair to say you are pleased w/ your Rocna?..i had forgotten all about this thread and wonder if Craig ever got a USA distibutor...

#32 ·
Yes, I am pretty happy with it... it does set remarkably fast... my only major complaint with it is that it does tend to bring up about 20-30 lbs. of mud, sand, weeds, etc with it every time... but that just gives me a good idea of how well it sets.

#33 ·
Just to add another review on the Rocna. We bought our boat this year and I did a lot of research on anchors, chain and rode on several forums etc. I decided on the Rocna, 50 ft. of chain and 250 ft. of rode, after seeing good reviews and many reccomendations from forum users. We've anchored out in the Georgian Bay area several weekends and 2 separate weeks. I am impressed so far.

I have set in heavy weeds twice, pulled up 5 ft. dia. ball each time. More than one occasion ended up doing a 180 deg. swing overnight with wind shift, and even did a 270 deg. swing on another, with 20 knot winds inbetween during the day. I set in clear water 15 ft. deep and could see the set pattern in the sand, the Rocna completely dug in within 2-3ft. On a couple of other sets in mud, the anchor was set so hard I had to cleat off and pull it out with the boat.

So far I've been vary impressed and get a good nights sleep.

#34 ·
Just to add another review on the Rocna. We bought our boat this year and I did a lot of research on anchors, chain and rode on several forums etc. I decided on the Rocna, 50 ft. of chain and 250 ft. of rode, after seeing good reviews and many reccomendations from forum users. We've anchored out in the Georgian Bay area several weekends and 2 separate weeks. I am impressed so far.

I have set in heavy weeds twice, pulled up 5 ft. dia. ball each time. More than one occasion ended up doing a 180 deg. swing overnight with wind shift, and even did a 270 deg. swing on another, with 20 knot winds inbetween during the day. I set in clear water 15 ft. deep and could see the set pattern in the sand, the Rocna completely dug in within 2-3ft. On a couple of other sets in mud, the anchor was set so hard I had to cleat off and pull it out with the boat.

So far I've been vary impressed and get a good nights sleep.
Scott- Welcome to sailnet. What kind of boat do you have?

#36 ·
Thanks Dave, we bought a 2005 Hunter33 this spring, first boat and love it. I love the looks I get when I tell people on the dock it's No.1, although getting a little tired of feeling I have to justify why I CAN handle the boat.

Bought my Rocna, 35 lbs., from Canadian distributor since I am in Canada. Shipping was reasonable to Ontario.

#39 ·
Phffft. I started sailing as crew in May, 1999 and bought a Viking 33 on August 31st, 1999. It was pointed out to me that a bigger boat would be slightly more forgiving if I screwed up, and that was the case. As it was less tender and "twitchy" than, say, a 26 footer (and had standing headroom and better access to the engine and stowage), we used it a great deal, even as I was aggressively club sailing on a Newport 27 and a C&C 41 on race nights. What I learned by continuing to crew allowed me to cruise a semi-race boat as a cruiser far more effectively than if I had just learned on my own, so to speak.

It helped a lot that it was a tiller boat. Playing with the sails and observing the weather/lee helm helped me to intuit the forces moving the boat.

Good luck.

#40 ·
Rocna User

After reading a lot of information on various anchors, I bought a Rocna anchor for my boat this summer. So far I have anchored with it about 8 times. It has never failed to set on the first try, and on two different nights (different locations), it has held firmly with 25 knots of wind. I am very happy with it so far. I am lucky, I live in Vancouver (Canada) and was able to pick it up myself.
However, the comments about it bringing up large amounts of mud are true.:D

Tom

#41 ·
For my '08 Beneteau 40 (17,000lbs) my dealer is including a Delta 44 (with 15' 3/8 chain and 200' 5/8 rode) in their "Sailaway Gear." My cruising grounds are the mud-bottomed Chesapeake - I'm thinkin' I may get a Rocna as a primary and use the Delta as a backup. Or - if the price difference between the Rocna and the Manson Supreme is that great - I may go with the latter (I was perfectly happy with my "Bruce clone" on my last boat). Wish I was gonna be home in time to compare the buggers at the Annapolis Boat Show (gonna miss it by a week!).

#42 ·
Brian,

I have been following this thread, and others about the Rocna. It sounds like an impressive anchor with amazing holding power. But, as a fellow Chesapeake sailor, whenever I read these accounts about the amount of mud that comes up with them, all I can think of is "what a mess". As it is our CQR and the chain bring up more than I'd like, but nothing like what I hear described here. Heck, if the environmentalists get wind of this these Rocnas will be banned before any of us has a chance to buy one!

Our CQR holds reliably here in the Chesapeake. And I cruised extensively in the Med with one and never had trouble with it. We also have a Delta on our bow roller that we never use anymore because anytime the wind pipes up we drag. I would like to swap that one for a bruce/claw.

Anway, congrats on your new boat and keep your head down. When you get back you'll have plenty of time to tweek the anchor selection.

#43 ·
Actually, John, the Rocnas may do less damage than the older anchors... since they tend to set very quickly. The couple times I've dived on mine to check the set, it has set within about 4' of where it hit the bottom. Most anchors will leave a longer furrow than that... and I haven't seen any sign of it moving, even when the wind/current shifts. So it may be pulling up a chunk of bottom the size of the anchor, but I think other anchors do more damage to the bottom, by digging long furrows in it.

#44 ·
Always an interesting topic. One question for the Rocna users. If it comes up always encased in "the bottom", I assume it will be encased on a wind/current change reset. Will the encased debris stop it from resetting?

#47 ·
I don't really think this is a problem. For one thing, I don't think the anchor ever surfaces, even when it is being turned around by a wind shift... based on what I saw on one time I dived on the anchor... It seems to bury itself pretty deeply when it can. I haven't dove on it on a rock bottom...just on sandy and muddy bottoms.

BTW, I think the only reason it always comes up covered in bottom is because the anchor is concave rather than convex... shaped like a spoon, as previously pointed out, not like a plow, which would tend to drop or shed the bottom as it was raised...

#45 ·
No. Picture a spoon, That is essentially what these new gen anchors are. Unlike a danforth the muck can't jam anything up. The weight and surface and angle of the blade cause a downward scooping action and when the wind shifts if the anchor does need to reset the "old" muck simply pushes off the spoon as the anchor resets. I'll grant you that this is a simplistic discription but this is what it is.

#46 ·
Wayne, I just spent 8 nights on the hook in various locations. I don't think I woke up more than one morning facing the same direction as when I went to sleep. Each time the anchor had reset itself just as strong as the initial set. I even tweeked my back on the last morning thinking I could pull it out of the mud by hand.

#48 ·
SailingDog,

I was of course kidding about the environmentalists banning the Rocna, and I'm sure you're right about them leaving shorter furrows. But the mess that comes up with it still does give me pause.

Scott,

Your sore back brings up another question. We set and haul our 35 lb CQR without a windlass. It almost sounds like the Rocna would be set so well we'd have to have a windlass to get it up. Or can it be extracted easy enough when the rode is "up and down" ?

Where in the US can a Rocna be purchased?

#49 ·
John-

You can contact the North American Distributor, which is Suncoast Marine.

e-mail info@suncoastmarine.ca
phone+1 604 781 8347
fax+1 604 451 5192
post395 / 2242 Kingsway, Vancouver BC V5N 5X6, Canada
webwww.suncoastmarine.ca
You can extract and raise the Rocna without a windlass.... but it is much easier with one ;)...since the setup I have has 30' of 5/16" chain, the 33 lb. Rocna and 20-30 lbs. of mud/sand. I usually use the boat to break it out though. Tighten up on the rode and then let the movement of the boat break it free.

#50 ·
John, ditto what sailingdog said. I usually let the momentum of the boat break out the anchor if it's stuck, but this time I was too stubborn. I have 50ft. of chain which adds 1 lbs. per ft. of chain to the 35 lbs. anchor. I usually can pull it up fairly easily, ( I taught the Admiral to drive so she didn't have to) but a windlass may be a good future investment.

#52 ·
Brezzin-

You just gotta start working out more... ;)

#55 ·
AFAIK, the only North American distributor is SunCoast Marine, in Vancouver, BC. I don't believe that Best Marine is a legitimate dealer.

Just as an anecdote, this past weekend, we anchored out. We were in about 16' of water with a mud/sand bottom. I lowered the Rocna and backed the boat down, letting out the 30' of chain and about 30' of rope. I snubbed off the line on the windlass...with only the gypsy holding the rope and started to back down with the engine. When the Rocna dug in, the rope got stripped from the gypsy and about another 10' went out before the momentum of the boat stopped stripping line from the gypsy. I put on a chafe sleeve and let out another 10'. One of my crew was surprised at how hard and suddenly the Rocna set. I wasn't. :D Again, when I retreived it, we had to let it dangle in the water for a few minutes under sail, to wash most of the mud off of it. It was completely covered with mud. Experiences like this have let me rest much easier at anchor.

#56 ·
Cam.....thanks for the warning!!!!!!

I got this from Craig earlier today:

Our apologies but Best Marine cannot supply you with a Rocna – they are no longer a reseller. We have repeatedly requested they remove the Rocna advertisement from their website, but to date they have not done so.

You may purchase directly from Suncoast Marine in Vancouver – the freight via ground shipping is not too bad. Alternatively, you may also order via West Marine. WM do not yet have the anchor listed in their catalog, but if you call their sales staff and quote the appropriate SKU # as below, they can ship you one from their central warehousing.

9261660 Rocna 25, 25kg Steel Anchor

9261678 Rocna 33, 33kg Steel Anchor

I hope that helps. Regards,

Craig @ Rocna

#59 ·
would reduce shipping costs.I am going to buy a Rocna 33 but I won't need to order for a couple of weeks yet. I will have mine shipped to the Oriental/New Bern NC area.Anyoneelse in that area need one?
Kevin.
Great idea!!!! Our boat is on the Pamlico in Engelhard (near Swan Quarter) and we don't leave till Nov 1. Any idea how to arrange a group purchase?

Roger

#60 ·
This past weekend, we anchored out at Tarpaulin Cove, and when we were backing down to set the Rocna, it pulled about a yard of line through the gypsy on the windlass before we could kill the engine. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.