Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the hydro bubble depends on the bubble to set properly, and the bubble is damaged, doesn't that tend to suggest the anchor won't set properly then.

If the anchor doesn't require the bubble to set properly, then it is just a useless gimmick to try and sell more anchors and increases the cost of the anchor without increasing the effectiveness of the anchor.

Either it is a poorly designed anchor with a possible vulnerability—as I can see if the anchor gets retrieved in rough conditions and rocky/coral terrain, the bubble could be damaged—or it is an anchor with an unnecessary marketing gimmick and somewhat questionable ethics and engineering. In either case, I wouldn't want that type of company making something that I am depending on to keep me, my crew, and my boat safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Craig,
thanks for posting the article. i found it helpful, even if some of the information was inaccurate (such as the pricing for your anchors).
now..how soon might we see a distributor in the US? i suspect the freight is almost as much as the anchor were i to order from nz or canada.
now on a related topic..is there a formula for determing desirable length of chain:rope.
it appears Rocna is the way to go..

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 10-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The freight on mine wasn't too bad... I don't know how large an anchor you're looking at. I have 30' of 5/16" G4-high-test chain on mine, and can anchor in many locations with just a bit of rope in the water, but my boat draws considerably less water than many others...being a multihull.

One rule for chain in a combination rode is that you should have about 1' of chain for every pound of anchor weight... that's roughly how I did mine...works well enough.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-02-2006
purveyor of mischief

if i'm reading the rocna website correctly..i need a either a 10 or 15kg model for my 30' 9400lb boat. if this thing holds as wonderfully as all the hype and glowing recommendations, then i could probaly get away with the smaller of the two..at what point is bigger always better, especially if my 5'5" spouse is trying to wrestle this thing from the briny deep.
now..here is the ridiculous aspect of my my question..what exactly does the chain do for you..

Sam
Old 10-02-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Craig,

"Some clown on another board stated that this negative factor must get worse with increasing depth, as the floatation would increase, rendering the anchor useless in deep water - now that's not right folks..."

I KNOW this guy! Met him in a bar once. He's the same fellow that claimed building bridges higher was a waste of money, because it would be far cheaper just to dredge beneath the bridges to increase clearance :-))

Bill
Old 10-02-2006
Telstar 28

Sam-

I'd go with the 15kg Rocna, rather than the 10kg. It will give you much more piece of mind, when you're anchored out and a gale or summer thunderstorm pops up with 50+ mph winds.

I'd also recommend that you get a windlass installed, even if it is a manual windlass. Makes retrieval much easier on you and the boat. If not a windlass, then at least a good chain pawl. I am installing a Simpson Lawrence/Lewmar Anchorman manual windlass for that very reason.

Bill- Unfortunately, it was some whack job on this forum that said that...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-02-2006
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctuarysam
Craig,
thanks for posting the article. i found it helpful, even if some of the information was inaccurate (such as the pricing for your anchors).
now..how soon might we see a distributor in the US? i suspect the freight is almost as much as the anchor were i to order from nz or canada.
now on a related topic..is there a formula for determing desirable length of chain:rope.
it appears Rocna is the way to go..
Hi Sam - US distributor in the works, ask us for an update after the Annapolis show. But these things do take time.

Chain : rope - once you consider all the factors, you come away with the conclusion that 100% chain is "ideal" and chain the length of the boat is the absolute bare minimum. And you can compromise between those two extremes in any fashion you desire, according to the type of boating you do.

The advantages of chain to consider are:
  • Durable on the seabed, rocks, coral, other boats
  • Durable on your boat (no chafe)
  • Provides catenary to keep the pull on the anchor at a lower angle (this factor becomes more important the deeper the water)
  • Provides a certain amount of mass which equates to inertia, which helps prevent your boat "sailing" on the anchor
But of course it's heavy and doesn't absorb shock, so when choosing how much to carry, you can reduce the amount as much as possible until you don't want to "hurt" those advantages anymore, and make up the rest with rope. Make sense?

Re sizing: our recommendations are quite conservative, they're sort of based on Peter's attitude, which is formed from sailing around the world and visiting Antarctica and that sort of thing. It's a case of "don't oversize - we already did that for you". As you say the 10 would probably be adequate for your boat, but consider that the boat may be heavier than the 9400lb displacement you mentioned - when is the last time you weighed it? If it is likely to be much over, you are in the domain of the 15.

BTW, anchors up to 15Kg / 33lbs we can ship anywhere in the world by regular airmail. Which is fairly economical and gets it to your door, none of this importing-by-freight lark which is required for the bigger ones. It's still not cheap - but not a deal breaker.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 10-02-2006
purveyor of mischief

craig,
thanks so much for taking the time to provide the article and providing ground tackle '101' for me.
good point about weight..i suspect when you add the 50 gallons of water, 20 gallons of diesel and a 30 gallon holding tank...(and if my memory serves correctly, a gallon of water is over 8 lbs..hmmm), it all adds up quickly, not to mention 2 adults, electronics,etc.
so a 15 kg anchor it is. i'll check back after annapolis boat show.

thanks..

Sam
Old 08-12-2007
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
We did our 'first' cruise out of Hingham, Ma., around the Cape to Nantucket, M.V. and back via Woods Hole thru the canal [watch out for Easterly winds on the outgoing tide, whew!] Overnighted off Clarks Is. [learned not to anchor in less than 20'. The tide was 10' at past high mark and 3.4' at a 25 degree tilt at 4 AM!] My 35 CQR worked well but I am going to get the Rocna 15 as soon as its locally available. I like what I read about it and want the safety of a good anchor for my family. [as you all do too]
Old 08-12-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
halekai posted...
Last season my boat sustained considerable damage because a boat broke free in a wind storm and draged onto my boat due to poor mooring maintenance. I'm sure this clown has similar anchoring manners. Fortunately the damage was cosmetic only but the whole event set me back some serious pocket change with a 2% deductable

Thread drift...did you try to collect the out of pocket costs? If he dragged & you didn't, it should be a clear case of his neglegence.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.