Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2006
seeker

feetup is on a distinguished road
Headliner ache

I just bought a U.S. 25 which checks out in pretty good condition. I know Jeff H. will roll his eyes in disgust but I really like her.
The only thing that I dislike enough to change is the headliner which is somewhat reminicent of that awful cushion vinyl found in many kitchens of the era.
Is there a viable alternative on the market, and has anyone done what they consider to be a nice job of relining a deckhead?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2006

resdog is on a distinguished road
If it hasn't fallen down yet, don't mess with it. I'm about to get into a Beneteau with a foam backed vinyl headliner that has come down. I'm in the process of removing the foam and adhesive that is stuck to the roof. It's not a pleasant job. I haven't decided what to replace it with. I know it will not be the same foam backed vinyl. I may just paint it. I don't require the limited amount of insulation in provides. I will probably glue twin battens down the center of the roof and install an upholstered panel to provide a wire chase for overhead lighting.
Old 09-25-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine removed the headliner on his 1976 Balboa and replaced it with a relatively neutral coloured low-pile berber carpet. He glued it on with contact cement. It looked good, didn't budge once in place, and was inexpensive to do. He added a wooden moulding around the edge to finish it off nicely.
Frank.
Old 09-25-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'm a little leery of carpet of any type on a boat in any place other than small rugs or mats at companionways. Carpet is a bear to dry if it ever gets wet and is a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Many manufacturers over the years have used carpet in various forms as liners, sole covers etc, and when they get wet they hold the moisture and stuff grows (and smells).

Any headliner should be removable for access to deck hardware etc, at least in those strategic spots. This can be problematic in boats like the one under discussion, as limited headroom can be compromised further.

If you are going to glue something up, try some thin closed cell foam and cover it with a smooth moisture resistant, easy to wipe down material.
Old 09-25-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Several years ago I had my headliner professionally replaced by a friend who is a master shipwright.

My 43' Perry-designed sloop has a LOT of headliner. Originally, It had some sort of thin vinyl covering long strips of plywood, and held up by Velcro. Over the years, and with some deck leaks, the plywood became delaminated.

The shipwright chose to use a thicker vinyl material, covering wide strips of a light plastic material, and held up with Velcro. I'm very sorry I don't know the proper names of these materials. But the result is GREAT...looks better than new, provides quick access when needed, and the plastic material won't be damaged in the event any water finds it's way through the deck or trunk cabin.

Bill
Old 09-26-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
btrayfors

I have to address my headliner this winter and was wondering if you had photos of yours? One picture is still worth a thousand words.

Rick in Florida
Old 09-26-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Me too I am redoing mine and would really like some pictures and info. Thanks.

I do know that the adhesive that was under my fabric is a real bear to get off. Have not found a decent way to remove it, tried acetone, scraping, grinding, nothing seems to work very well.

Gary
Old 09-26-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Gary and Rick505,

I don't have a good picture, but will take some and post them on my website for you. Also, I'll find out what the materials were, and post that info ASAP.

Bill
Old 09-26-2006
seeker

feetup is on a distinguished road
headliner....

Does anyone know if there is a paint that will adhere and last on the vinyl?

feetup
Old 09-26-2006
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't GLUE or PAINT anything up there. I recommend you fasten the vinyl sheet (using staples, velcro, etc) because ultimately you WILL need to get behind that headliner. Mine is pulled taunt, stapled, and the seams are trimmed-out. It looks great because it hides all the bumps and ridges caused by the various backing plates, nuts, wires, etc.