Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2006
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
Cool Bow Thrusters ??

Looking for information and opinions on bow thrusters, currently considering adding another toy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
On a Caliber 40? Why? Are you diabled?
Old 09-25-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
The amount of time a captain spends using his bow thruster has a direct, inverse relationship to his skill level.
Old 09-25-2006
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
Yes, I had a stroke a year ago. Other than that, I won't defend my sailing skills, admittedly they could be improved. However this Caliber 40LRC seems to be sensitive to wind at slow speeds as in docking manuevers. So why not through some hardware at the situation. I have recently priced out some units. A quote from a distributor of Vetus units came in at about $32XX before shipping. I saw an equivalent unit by Lewmar on ebay for $1844 shipping included. This is parts only no labor! Some one else (another Caliber 40 owner) recommended a Wesmar unit. He put one on about 2 years ago.
Old 09-25-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
I apologize for my flippant "disabled" remark. Your "looking for another toy" comment threw me off.

This is not just another toy. In your situation, it would seem to be a useful addition. I have an acquaintance who has installed bow thrusters on his Pacific Seacraft 38; he's 75 years old and sails alone...good enough reason to consider the thrusters.

Go for it! But, also, practice up some on your docking skills.

Bill
Old 09-25-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Bill, well put.
Old 09-25-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Escapade-
Assuming you are going to have it installed by a yard...I'd think about asking them what they are familiar with and what they would prefer to deal with, in terms of warranty support and other issues. And possibly ask the builder the same question, i.e. if they've installed them which ones they have chosen, and why.
Old 09-25-2006

EagleSailtwo is on a distinguished road
My Gulfstar 43 has a bow thruster that the previous owner had installed. I wondered before buying this boat if this would be a useful thing or not? I also wondered if having a 10 inch tube with a propeller inside the middle and protruding through the bow from one side to the other, that while under sail might have some sort of aqua dynamic impediment as a result?

Since my purchase of this boat in early July, EAGLE, I have sailed her several times and I am impressed and pleased with her sailing performance so I believe I can rule out her bow thruster for changing the dynamics of hull performance, however, I can never really know for sure since I've never sailed this boat without the thruster but her performance is very good for what she is.

As far as usefulness, backing into, or forward into, a slip, on a windy day, and making a perfect landing on the dock is amazing, and for getting the bow to point on the mooring ball on a windy day, also amazing!

While the above maneuvers are quite well done by skilled captains without the aid of a bow thruster, I do believe in their usefulness for the many who's skills at docking, or pointing on a mooring ball, less than perfect (the weekend sailor ) those who only use their sailboat 10 or 15 times a year, the bow thruster may help them from careening down the side of your boat!
Old 09-26-2006

jgeltz is on a distinguished road
I have one on my Liberty 458 that was installed by the prior owner. I honestly try not to use it for most docking procedures because I like to steer with just rudder and anticipated prop walk. However, when wind is a factor it is sure nice to have particularly in those tender moments between the time that you snuggle up to the dock and your first mate is still getting the lines on. I highly recommend one. I would try to get one that is of adequant power for your boat and if money allows hydraulic wins over electric. I do suggest buying spare shear pins as plant life, etc can get caught in the prop and disable the unit. The change out is simple as long as you have spare pins on hand.
Old 09-26-2006

Rockter will become famous soon enough
What about the big 'ole in the bow?