SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lavac Toilet Question:

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Hello:

I just bought a sailboat with a Lavac system in it. In the past I've always used Porta-poties. I have no idea how this thing works. There is a valve on the wall, and a post that works up and down. It does have a holding tank nearby. Also it has a pump out area I believe. Could some kind soul here give me some information?

Thanks Thomas

#2 ·
Google is your friend.

How does a Lavac work? Simplicity itself. After use, close the lid. Pump the handle of the Henderson Mk V pump a few strokes and you are done. No levers to position, no bypass valves to set, no tiny little piston pumps. When you pump the handle, the closed lid seals the system. Suction is formed which empties the bowl and, at the same time, draws in more rinsing water.

http://lavac.com/faqs.htm

#3 ·
Yup... very simple and more foolproof than most other marine heads as there are no moving parts outside of a very reliable diagphram pump. Also, in some installations of Lavac heads, the pump can be used to empty the holding tank while at sea. :D You might want to see if that is the case on your boat, as it can be very handy...

The only drawback I've seen with Lavacs is that the bowl lid is sealed while the bowl is being emptied...and if you're suffering from a bad case of seasickness, this can be a problem... ;) They also tend to use less water from what I've seen than other heads, so may let you use the holding tank longer than a standard marine head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.