Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-27-2006
Boat Lover

jswwrites is on a distinguished road
Unhinged mechanic

As some of you know, my grandmother gave me her Newport 33, which is in FL, and I have been getting it prepared to be transported to NC. I have spent $3500 with a repair service, my mantra being "this engine needs to have a reasonable expectation of going 700 miles". They left with it yesterday and got TWO before it was overheating at any rpm over 1600. Turned around went back, the captain called, I called - no one was mad, just sort of irritated, and "hey, let's get this fixed because we have a limited time window here."

The guy on the phone then told my captain that "he quit." The capt thought he was the mechanic, and called me, so I called the office - turns out it was the OWNER, and he refused to go back on the vessel! When I called to find out why (I have paid them upon every presentation of invoice, had a very good working relationship with the mechanic and the guy in the office) he said I was "difficult" had yelled at 2 of his employees (just so you know, even my kids laughed at that, since I have a hard time yelling even when it's justified!), then he went totally ballistic, dropping the "f" bomb and screaming in the phone when I had the audacity to say "it's his job, isn't it?" to his lament about all the work the mechanic had done (but didn't do a sea trial on that work). I mean BALLISTIC, and said I had no ethics, etc etc etc.

OK, so here's my question (rhetorical, really!) - as far as I know I paid $90 an hour for the guy to DO HIS JOB, so saying it IS his job isn't an insult, is it?? And asking for a boat to be ready to go 700 miles and getting 2 isn't exactly cause for celebration, esp when $3500 has been spent to date??? The weird thing is that this repair shop has worked on this boat for 12 years... there's never been a problem. The capt who is delivering the boat has never heard anything bad about them. But my contact in the place was MORTIFIED, and the ripple effect has already begun, so they guy may just have sunk his own ship.

And btw, turns out it was the FUEL FILTER, which was changed in late June but certainly should have been checked given my scenario and parameters. Thanks for letting me vent!

The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
Kate Chopin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006

Rockter will become famous soon enough
How would a fuel filter cause overheating? Was it a diesel? If so, fuel starvation will simply stop the motor.

Something isn't adding up there jswwrites.

If the fuel filter was clogging, the motor would slow, and be difficult to start. If it is clogging up since late June, I really would suspect poor fuel in the tank. If it's diesel, lift the top of the tank, roll up your sleeve, and stick your hand in there right to the floor of the tank and run your hand across the floor and sides. Does it have a slimy feel to it? Shine a a flashlight in there and check the fuel for transparency. Does it look mucky?

I really would check the fuel, or the symptoms will return with the next filter.

If the fuel is mucky, get a big drum and pump the tank out until the tank is purged. Now get some washing up detergent, and scrub and scrub. It will clean, and it is a rewarding, if messy task. Dry the tank completely befroe re-fuelling. Purge the fuel lines too, before re-starting.

Rockter.
Old 09-27-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
JSW, something is wrong with that picture. Like Rokter says, a clogged fuel filter shouldn't make the engine overheat. If anything it should starve and die the way fuel starvation usually does. (At least, that's been my experience and I've witnessed enough diesel fuel problems to make me question the entire concept of diesel engines for casual users.)

So the first question is, what really overheated the engine? Who told you it was a clogged fuel filter?

And a second question is, why a fuel filter would clog in four months. Sure, you could have gotten bad fuel, or had crud in the tank, but that's all stuff that should be under control, with maintenance and biocide. (And, I never want to see diesel fuel going in without an outboard fuel filter, i.e. a "baja" filter, because I'm convinced ALL diesel fuel is bad. Potentially.)

You've got more looking into to look into.

Including another contact to the shop, to find out if someone is on drugs, or has mistaken you for another person, or if they just really really really want you to sue them in small claims court for not preparing the engine the way they were hired to.

Maybe the mixup is over what his "job" was, whether it was to fix an engine or to prepare a boat--because the fuel tank/system aren't part of the engine, from some points of view. (Although I'd argue any competent mechanic should make sure SOMEone is attending to the whole thing.)
Old 09-27-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
No question someone is trying something on here - no way a clogged fuel filter will cause overheating. It's a little unclear from your (justifiable) rant just who quit what - the owner of the service company?? But anyway the guy sounds like a whacko.

If you do (still) have a good relationship with others there, you need to get to the bottom of the overheating issue, if indeed that's what happened.

Best of Luck
Old 09-27-2006
Boat Lover

jswwrites is on a distinguished road
So here's the deal, understanding that I am in no way mechanical but I DO have a very good mechanic (vehicles) on my full time staff here. So I got him to talk to the captain, who told him the deal: the engine ran fine at 1500 rpm, then pegged out hot immediately when pushed to 2000, but cooled right back down when taken back to 1500. Darrell immediately said fuel filter - we run diesel trucks nightly, and he says he tells the guys to get their foot off the gas if it's hot - because, if the engine gets immediately hot upon acceleration, but then immediately cools down upon DEceleration, what that means is that it is running lean when it needs more fuel. That can be caused by 2 things: fuel filter being not in great shape, or a leak somewhere between the exhaust and the turbo causing more air to get into the mix. Air combusts hotter plus lowers the amount of fuel getting through. (That's the extent of my knowledge!) As long as you are running it where it stays in the proper temp, it's fine, not hurting the engine, etc. And apparantly, getting little use is about as bad for a fuel filter as getting clogged - they need the lubrication of the fuel to do...well, whatever it is they do!

At any rate, the boat is underway and running fine, staying in the desired temp. Meanwhile, the captain has my mechanic on speed dial. As I said to both him and my husband, if I trust what the mechanic says on a daily basis for 20 trucks, I sure as heck better trust what he says here! And he's saved us a TON of money in the 2 years he's been on our staff, and is very good at his job. So. That's the deal!

As far as the owner who quit (I've never figured out how to do that as an owner, myself!), he is obviously completely unstable. Or having a VERY VERY bad day over something else! I was completely shocked and amazed, I can tell you.

The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
Kate Chopin

Last edited by jswwrites; 09-27-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-27-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I'd suspect the TURBO entirely changes the situation. With a turbo you are force-feeding air into the engine, without it the diesel is only sucking it in--and doing so only limited by the amount of fuel it is burning. No fuel, no burn, no sucking air, so it self-limits to an extent that the turbo would not. Be curious to know if your mechanic agrees with that.
Old 09-27-2006

Get some brand new fuel, and don't put it in the tank.

Take the filter out, and dump it. Put a new filter in, and rig a temporary fuel supply to the filter.... don't use the tank!!!!

Now run it, and see if it cooks. Do it at the dockside if you wish, but work the engine hard. I have never heard of a diesel overheating when starved of fuel. They just stop because they are not burning it anymore, but I am open to persuasion from that experienced mechanic.

This is true of a gasoline engine... it runs lean, the flame changes to that blue colour, and the piston gets a hard time, typically it gets holed. Often you don't notice though until it dies.

If your diesel is overheating, check the water pump, or if it's raw water cooled, check for scaling (been there done that.... a Volvo MD 17c.... and it fried). It would take 1400 rpm for hours, but little more.
Old 09-27-2006

I wonder why anyone would fit a turbocharger on an engine for a 33 ft boat..... aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

What's done is done, but avoid turbochargers.

Ye designers out there, use a bigger engine rather than put a turbo on it. I mean, it's not a Grand Prix racing car. We can take the weight penalty of the non-turbo units. We don't even need overhead cams.... they have got those toothed drive belts, a lot of them, and they break. Give me OHV engines and pushrods any day.

End of sermon.
Old 09-27-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
ok, the lean fuel mixture causing overheating is ONLY APPLICABLE TO DETROIT DIESEL 2 STROKE motors only. And that wasn't because of plugged fuel, it is caused by over revving, (backing foot off the accelerator, feeding no fuel causing no cooling to piston tops while deaccelerating) and running superheated air from the turbo, thru the blower, thats why he tells them to take their foot out of it.

those were blown, and turbo'd.

I doubt that you have a turbodiesel on the newport33... unless its been repowered it's help alot if you tell us what make & model the engine is.
and a plugged fuel filter WILL NOT CAUSE OVERHEATING. It will cause fuel starvation, but that will limit revs. period.

I suspect whats happening is is the fuel injecter timing is off, thats why it'll run ok till "x" rpm, then either load the cyls before TDC, or after TDC, but then it would knock like crazy...

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cardiacpaul-

IIRC, actually running a gasoline engine lean will tend to cause it to run hotter and possibly overheat. Don't know jack about diesels, but do know a fair bit about gasoline engines due to having rebuilt a fair number as a gearhead restoring Mustangs and T-birds a long time ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.