SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boom and Mast Attachments

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
When adding hardware to an existing boom or mast, should you use screws or pop rivits ? Also, should I be concerned about using stainless on a alum. mast or boom. The current project is re rigging my Lazy Jacks which were not even close to being installed correctly.

Thanks in advance, Mark

#2 ·
If you aren't going to need to remove the hardware, I would use stainless steel pop rivets, but I would coat them with Lanocote to help prevent any galvanic corrosion with the aluminum. I just used 3/16" stainless steel pop rivets to attach padeyes to the spreaders for flag halyards and a radar reflector halyard.

Be aware that most hand-powered pop rivet tools aren't designed to handle stainless steel pop rivets. The only hand rivet tool that I've found that says it is designed to handle 3/16" stainless steel pop rivets is one that I got at Sears, that is made by Craftsman. :D

If you have to use screws, use the coarsest thread possible, as finer threads tend to corrode more easily than coarser threads IIRC. Also recommend that you use lanocote or some other anti-corrosion coating on the screws.

#4 ·
Umm... pop riveting a padeye to the spreader and then attaching a small block and running line through it to a clamp-on cleat on one of the shrouds takes about 20 minutes to do, plus whatever time it takes you to go up the mast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.