Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-27-2006

geary126 is on a distinguished road
replacing non skid on large repaired (deck) surface

Hi. I have a Catalina 30, and the previous owner repaired the deck delamination by drilling holes every 2", and filling the space with lots of epoxy. The problem is, I've got painted, slick epoxy in about a 18" x 18" spot, right near the mast, and it's dangerous as hell.

Anyone have any ideas on making this right? The problem is, as I understand it, I've got gelcoat next to epoxy...and not sure I can have one material that will work on top of both.

But I don't know what I'm talking about really. One surveyor suggested Boatlife + rubber kitchen shelf liner, safe and removable, not long on looks.

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006

pajama1lama is on a distinguished road
It depends on how much work you want to do, your talents and preferences for materials, and your budget.
You can apply non-skid overlay available in sheet form, or simply apply paint that is formulated to provide a non-skid finish. You can opt for either a one part polyurethane non-skid paint, which will go over both the gelcoat and the epoxy (epoxy should be primed), or you can use a two-part polyurethane, for longer lasting finish, but more hassles in application.
Don Casey's book "Sailboat Refinishing" gives a examples of techniques for both types of non-skid. Casey mentions Treadmaster M, and Vetus brands.
The overlay is cemented in place with epoxy.
Old 09-29-2006

geary126 is on a distinguished road
the problem I have it, the epoxy is spotty...all over the place. can I just prime the entire area--both epoxy and gelcoat, in one fell swope?
Old 09-29-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"can I just prime the entire area"
Yes, and the folks at West Systems (epoxy) have PDFs online that show you how to do these kind of repairs. And, free and unpressured technical support if you spend the dime to call them. You can resurface it, or you can apply a "rubber" antiskid material over it, like Treadmaster. (Kitchen shelf material is not meant for exterior decking.)
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As long as you prep both surfaces properly for painting, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to paint over both surfaces with a single paint. You don't need to paint, but that would be the simplest way to treat the area with a non-skid surface, by adding a non-skid texturing additive tot the paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.