Installing a shower sump? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2001 Thread Starter

Installing a shower sump?

I''m living aboard my CSY 37. The time has come to upgrade the plumbing. The first thing I want to do is convert my shower to a sump... it currently empties into the bilge, which is kinda silly. I want to add a sump, then discharge through an existing seacock. My question is this: is there any problem with sharing my exisiting head-discharge seacock?
Thanks
Andrew
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2001

Yes there is. In order to work properly there should be a backflow preventer to prevent pumping septic fluids into your shower pan. Since your head is pumping solids a backflow preventer will not really work safely. If you have abandoned the use of your head through hull because you are strictly using your holding tank then you might get by with using the head thru-hull.

Your best bet is tee into your sink drain and use a high loop on the sump to prevent the sink filling the sump and a backflow preventer on the sink to prevent the sump from filling the sink (Yuk).

Jeff
post #3 of 5 Old 10-04-2001

Using an existing thru-hull is an excellent idea. It saves putting another hole in your boat. The only crevat is how close is it to where you plan the sump? Most sailboats have a head/shower with sump located together or adjacent so the routing of the plumbing is convient and short. You also need to consider where you can locate the pump [protect the wiring] but the location isn''t much of a problem if the pump self primes has a strainer, and is easily accesible. Insure that you have an above the water line vent in the head discharge line and the connection is on the side nearest the thru-hull you should have no problems. If for some reason you cannot hook into the existing thru-hull when installing a new one put it a couple of inches above the water line and be sure to install a proper seacock. On last thing put a one way valve in the line to avoid sewer water backing up into it if you use the exixting head discharge.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-07-2001

i would dismiss the sump idea. whale makes a pump for this application. just hook it into your shower drain and hook the other end up to a through hull high up on the hull.turn on when in the shower off when out.
mine works great.
eric
post #5 of 5 Old 10-09-2001

My sump shares one of my bilge pump thru hulls. The only problem is I have to turn the y valve before taking a shower.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.