Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfree
I used Pioneer marine speakers in the cockpit of my last boat. Worked great. Can't remember the model number, but I think it's the only marine speaker Pioneer do. They were available from West Marine for around $160. I was a bit worried about the holes, but the speakers are waterproof and I figured they'd be the "plug".
Just how strong do you think speaker cones are??? A wave breaking in a cockpit in heavy seas is tons of water crashing down. If you have cockpit speakers 5" in diameter, they can let in close to 1000 GPM per pair with one foot of head.

The formula is Pi * R^2 * 3600 * head, so for a five inch speaker opening you're looking at 3,600 * 3.14 * (.208' * .208') x 1, which equals 489 GPM per speaker.

Seawater weighs roughly 64 lbs per cubic foot. A wave moving at 5 knots faster than your boat that is four feet higher than your boat will have tons of force behind it.

If your speakers don't open into an otherwise sealed cockpit locker, you really do want to mount them under deckplates that can be closed off in case of bad weather or heavy seas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2006

bsfree is on a distinguished road
Totally agree with SD. The holes made by the speakers should be treated as the potentially serious ingress threats they pose, and treated accordingly.
The deck plate idea SD suggests would seem to accommodate both the speakers’ performance, and retain the integrity of the cockpit. I’ll use that method on my present boat.
Guess I wasn’t thinking outside of the conditions we experience here in S CA, ie: washing the boat, a little spray and rain (sometimes).
Just shows the value of more than one opinion, and ones’ own judgement.
Old 10-05-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfree
Totally agree with SD. The holes made by the speakers should be treated as the potentially serious ingress threats they pose, and treated accordingly.
The deck plate idea SD suggests would seem to accommodate both the speakers’ performance, and retain the integrity of the cockpit. I’ll use that method on my present boat.
Guess I wasn’t thinking outside of the conditions we experience here in S CA, ie: washing the boat, a little spray and rain (sometimes).
Just shows the value of more than one opinion, and ones’ own judgement.
maybe it's just me, but the thought of cutting holes in my boat gives me the shakes...
i love tunes and put klipsch enclosed speakers down below. i've had cockpit mounted enclosed speakers before, and they sounded good, but occasionally got in the way..(a sheet wrapping around on occasion), when it came time to "tunes" my new ride..enclosed down below made the most sense to me (operative phrase is "most sense to me") YMMV.
nobody said there would be any math..but the formula referenced above looks damn scary to me. that alone should make ya think twice about jigsaws and such...

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 10-05-2006
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
I have my XM radio broadcasting to a portable boom box. Bad weather? Take box down below. Want background music at dinner? Place it in the setee. Want to get a tan on the foredeck with some tunes? You get the idea...
Old 10-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm planning on embedding the cockpit speakers in the cockpit coaming, far from the compass. I can understand how leery one can be of cutting holes in a perfectly good deck/cabintop. I had to do that for a ventilator earlier this year...took me two days to work up to doing it.

I like music, it was one of my better half's favorite interests, and I have over 500 CDs to prove it. I don't want to have an iPod on deck, but want to be able to listen to her music collection without needing to risk her CDs—so the iPod is the way to go.

I'll have a set of speakers below as well, so I can listen to the music when I'm hiding from the rain storms we've been getting the last couple of weeks.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-13-2006

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Boat, not Das Boat

Guys. I love the advice. Most of it. But some of you...let's not over do it. This isn't a fricking submarine. This isn't a thru-hull. I already have two holes, GASP...filled with instruments, both 400$, that don't work. The company is defunct. I bought the boat that way.

The theoretical is well and good. The panic is not. I spent 5 years sailing the south pacific. We weathered two typhoons, and about a trillion squals. A cockpit speaker placed vertically, three feet up....with a hole of about 4 inches...with a speaker in the space, taking up entirely the same space as the instrument before it....

A wave 5 feet tall, rolling into the cockpit...I'd say, you're in the wrong boat, to start with. You better be playing some good tunes, because you're dead, anyway.

Second, even if it did occur, the cockpit would fill...and if you speaker were on the floor, perhaps it would pop out. Most probably, the force would be dissapated, and it would not. Not a big deal. The speaker isn't on the deck. It's above the cockpit. You guys act like 1) waves routinely roll over boats, not spray, but giant waves, and then sit, like some Matrix effect, hanging in the air while the boat fills with water.

You're overdoing it. Gallons per minute would only be a factor if one turtled. I know a boat that turtled, with the hatch open. The guy was on deck. He never mentioned what happened to his speakers. He lived.

The holes are there. I'm cautious. This is a fricking 30 foot Cat, not an offshore boat. Enough with the Sky Could Possibly Fall,

Remember: spreading panic artificially is the President's job.

But thank you, anyway.
Old 10-13-2006

geary126 is on a distinguished road
I might have been a tad sassy. You guys are, and have been, helpful to me. just wanted to add some perspective.
Old 10-21-2006
Telstar 28

Geary126-

Couple of major points you seemed to have missed... On many boats, the speakers aren't mounted 3' above the cockpit floor, but in the coaming or else where, where being pooped by a wave could be an issue.

Most instruments are mounted externally, with screws that go through the mounting surface, and are larger than the opening they are covering by a bit. Most speakers are mounted behind the mounting surface or flush with it, and are far less capable of withstanding any serious pressure of water against them.

I've been in a boat that was pooped by a rogue wave, and it took over two minutes for the water to stop pouring aboard... I was nearly washed out of the cockpit, but that's what tethers are for. Given that the speakers might resist for a few seconds, that still means that over 1000 gallons of water could have poured into the boat during that time. Fortunately, the speakers were installed with heavy seas in mind and we had closed off the openings with deckplates.

BTW, I agree that spreading needless panic is the President's job....but I'm just recommending any sailors who want cockpit speakers at least consider the negative effects they could have on the boat if the boat was pooped by a wave.

Telstar 28
New England