SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

hand held vs stationary mounted radio

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  albrazzi 
#1 ·
Hi, was wondering what the general consensus is about hand held radio vs fixed mount. Do the benefits of one, out way the other. Boat is used mostly on Great Lakes maybe some on Chesapeake bay?

Appreciate your input. Thanks

#2 ·
A fixed VHF has a vastly better range with its 25 watt transmit power. Handhelds have 5 or 6 watts.
I am currently sitting with my fixed VHF picking up traffic 20nms away on another island where the handheld gets about 4 nms.

Also a fixed VHF has DSC where most handhelds do not. This means that with GPS plugged in you can send an urgent or distress call with your exact position... plus u get a readout of the position of any nearby vessel in distress.

Get the fixed VHF first and foremost... but is Santa is really nice he might do a late run and get u a handheld too :)

#3 ·
Agree with Mark on relative ranges.. the handheld is convenient but short ranged both receiving and sending. However the handheld can go with the kayak, dinghy, hikers, etc so it's really a good idea to have both.

For the best on-board convenience get a fixed VHF with a RAM mike in the cockpit.

btw our new handheld has an internal GPS and a DSC button.

Reactions: ddiesel
#7 ·
As said in earlier posts, a fixed mount will get you more range/power.

The new hand held's float, and have gps/dsc. This is a great safety feature should you go overboard. When I single hand mine is in my pocket or on my belt at all times. I consider it my second favorite safety device after my pfd. I'm a daysailer and coastal cruiser so I'm probably never out of vhf range.

#10 · (Edited)
Broke a pin inside connection in navpod plug so remote mike wouldn't work. A total ***** to rerun that wire from binnacle to below decks nav station. Wouldn't think new installation be any better. Best if no splices in that run so some very fine soldering required as gave up on thought of running a new wire and just soldered so able to just replace socket.
Just saying.
Now never disconnect the cockpit handheld mike. Live in fear of breaking it again. If it's ever stolen I just hope they don't break any pins in that socket.

#12 ·
Also don't forget battery life. My handheld will last quite a while without charging if on low power, but on high power the battery doesn't last near as long. If you forget to charge it...you have no radio.

A mounted radio is usually powered by a much larger battery and if you are running two banks (house and starting) then you will usually always have power for your radio.

But, as already mentioned, if you can spring for both options go for it. If you get hit by lightning or abandon ship, that handheld will be your lifeline. Also, if you have a dinghy...bringing along the handheld is a no-brainer.

#13 ·
Keep in mind that VHF communication is line of sight, therefore, with a hand-held the horizon is not very far away, while if that antenna is sitting atop a 50-foot mast, the communication distance improves dramatically. It's not the power as much as it is the height of the antenna. When I worked for NASA, out satellite transmitters were less than 1-watt, but the range was unlimited. The reason for the low power was that the satellite battery system only charged when the satellite was in the sun, which was 1/2 the orbit.

The best use I found for my handheld was when traveling down the ICW and being approached from aft by another boat that was overtaking me and needed to pass safely. They would call me, and the handheld, which was two feet from the helm was used to provide them information on which side the pass, and that I would slow down to idle speed so they could do so as quickly as possible.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

#14 ·
VHFs range is determined by sight-line, and fixed radios usually are wired to an antenna on the masthead. Being much higher, the range is much greater. But, you may or may not need that.
Contacting a distant marina to arrange for a mooring, you may want the range. If you have a radio with an AIS receiver, as some fixed Standard Horizons do, you can contact a container ship headed your way when its still 10 miles off. (AIS is a game-changer if there are big boats around, but it has to be able to talk to your GPS.)
I have both fixed and handheld and use them both.
Handheld is important when you don't want to leave the helm to use the radio, and has plenty of range for most boat-to-boat, boat-to-lock communication.
I'd start with a handheld and see how you use it. Even with a fixed radio, you'll be glad for a handheld.
JV

#16 ·
Actually, they do when mounted high upon a mast. Antennas are a fraction of the bandwidth, and with AM communications, there is a huge difference in range between a full wave antenna and a fractional wavelength antenna. However, with FM communications, all you have to do is look at the size of the antenna used for the Mars Rover that transmits video signals all the way to Earth. And, that transmitter is less than 1-watt.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

#17 ·
I keep two Handhelds on board to compliment the base unit, for dinghy and Beach use, talking to marinas docking and the like. I had a choice between the waterproof one and the ones that float, I choose the floaters. Don't know if there is a difference but its a good joking point anyway. $79 or so for new Icoms on eBay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.