SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Furling Main Sail suggestions

903 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Shockwave 
#1 ·
Time to start looking for a new furling main sail for my Catalina 36 MK II. Curious to see what options are out there today, what is working and what isn't.

Not building a race boat, just looking for a really solid cruising sail.

#2 ·
Though our RF main is a tape drive composite sail, which I would never recommend to anyone, it is a triradial cut which, even in it's old age, still sets beautifully for the most part. I believe the triradial cut will hold it's shape better than any other cut as you reef the sail.
Of course it's more expensive, but if it holds it's shape longer (more seams and less expanses of cloth) then maybe it's worth it.

#4 ·
We are full time cruisers and blew our main sail out last year crossing the boot of Italy -- a bit of research on strength, life and durability as well as getting good performance out of it we chose dacron built by Kemp Sails in the UK and they shipped to Croatia where we installed it. We got incredible performance out of it this past year as we sailed over 1,800nm and made 40 ports of call.

#5 ·
Load path sails (tape drive, 3dl,...) are typically Mylar or tedlar for those that remember the old Sobstads, with or without scrims. The panel layout is broadseamed crosscut, not triradial. The load path can be made from tape or string of pentex, kelvlar, carbon... and the more high dollar "load path material" in the sail the higher the price.

For a roller up Catalina MK2 36 main I would buy cross cut dacron..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.