SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Reefing Points

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sailingfool 
#1 ·
My RL24 has a slab reefing system, however there are no reefing points in the middle of the sail to tie it down so it doesn't flap. I thought this was interesting and decided to google some pics of slab reefing and RLs in general. I found that pretty much all sails with Slab Reefing had reefing points to tie down the sail, except for the RL. YouTube videos and Pics of the RL show it with 0 Reefing Points for tying it down.
Is this due to decreased racing performance by poking holes in the sail? Since the RL24 is very popular for racing. Or am I not seeing these points in the pictures and mine just doesn't happen to have them?
I sent in my sails to be professionally cleaned and was wondering if I should also have them quote me to add some Reefing Points.

#3 ·
We reefed it once and the excess did blow out, however we may just need to do it more neatly and carefully, still beginners. Thanks for the input though. I didn't know if it was normal or not.

And yeah a Lazy Jack is interesting but I dont think we need one as of yet, especially since its just a small weekend boat.

#4 · (Edited)
Don't know what an RL is, but you say it's popular for racing. If you're racing in a 24' boat, it's probably 'round the buoys, and any reef you put in going upwind will need to come out again at the windward mark. Tying off reef points would take time and would mean crew would not be hiking (which you would need, because it's blowing hard enough to need a reef...). In such a situation, reefing points in the sail aren't really needed. We have holes for reefing points in our mainsail, and we might reeve a sailtie through one on legs that are more than an hour long if the flapping sailcloth distracts me from staying in our upwind groove. The impact of the holes on sailing performance would be minimal. Actual reefing points - lines sewn onto the sail at intervals for each line of reefs - would be bad for racing because of the added weight and turbulence they would bring.

You may also not be seeing reefing cringles (holes) in the middle of the RL24 sails because their owners don't go out when it's blowing hard enough to need a reef.

#5 ·
Was sailing with a friend who insisted on tying all the little reef points off even after I suggested not to do it. A couple of hours later his clew reef line chafed through and the ensuing flogging ripped all those reef points like a zipper.

I like lazy jacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Was sailing with a friend who insisted on tying all the little reef points off even after I suggested not to do it. A couple of hours later his clew reef line chafed through and the ensuing flogging ripped all those reef points like a zipper.

I like lazy jacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't tie the reef pennants around the boom, just the foot of the sail.

#6 ·
We have never tied those small reefing points in either. If you have them, using them to lightly gather the bunt of the reef is OK but adds that step to the unreefing process. I think not having them at all is better - no one is tempted to overtighten them and cause damage. Newbies especially often 'tied the reef in at the dock' like the book says, cinching those middle points tight.. only to have them zipper open when the sail is hoisted and loaded.

Lazy jacks help to contain the bunt, but allowing it to hang works for us. If it is RTB racing then the reefs not in for long as already mentioned.

Reactions: Brent Swain
#7 ·
Have the intermediate tie points on my slab reefing main but have never used them. Do reef in sequence no matter what the weather dictates. Bunt of sail does hang out but not very much and doesn't flog. Reefing points are 5' apart except #3 that's 7'.

Did use them on the last boat but probably because I thought it was expected. FYI, the intermediate ties should only gather the sail not be tied around the boom or take any load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.