SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Window gasket sealant.. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/23673-window-gasket-sealant.html)

groundhog 10-03-2006 07:15 PM

Window gasket sealant..

Speaking of leaks,

I have a window that has what looks like the same type of black rubber gasket as found in automotive windshield applications.

The black gasket was originally a straight piece and they fitted it in the oblong opening for the window.

So that means there is a cut where the gasket start/stopping point is. That is where I noticed a small leak.

Any suggestions of some magic goop type stuff?

Thanks,
gh

camaraderie 10-03-2006 07:40 PM

Try a little back silicone.

Faster 10-03-2006 07:48 PM

We've had excellent results with Dow Corning 795 silicone. A local boat builder/repair expert recommended it to bed our plexi windows, and it has been leak free since installation, with no separation developing.

A friend with windows similar to yours removed the old gasketing material altogether and filled the frame space with the above silicone, cut some spacers from the old gasket to locate the pane in the frame, the reinstalled the frames and has had no leaks since. Mask off the frame and the lens prior to re-assembling things

It's not easy to find, not usually in the Home Depot section, but look for a wholesaler or a HVAC/plumbing/insulator supplier.

groundhog 10-03-2006 10:35 PM

I did some internet searching and couldn't find a source for the Dow Corning 795.

But I did find some similar product at Ace Hardware.
Permatex® Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealant $4.95

Thanks for your input,
gh

carlosthedog 10-03-2006 11:06 PM

I've used GE silicone available at Home Depot for my swimming pool. But for small jobs I use silicone for aquariums purchased at just about any hardware store. It comes in a small tube for about $3.

Faster 10-03-2006 11:19 PM

GHI found a local distributor for DC 795 using this link. Maybe it will work for you.Cheershttp://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/default.aspx?searchtype=dist

RichardElliott 10-15-2006 05:48 PM

Window Sealant

Practical Sailor recently rated Ace Hardware Special Caulk (Silicone) a best buy.

hellosailor 10-15-2006 06:25 PM

Groundhog, last time I head auto glass was bedded and sealed with urethane compounds, so a urethane adhesive would be the matching product for it. Any auto glass supply (or shop) should be able to sell you a tube.

I wouldn't expect a silicone product to bond to urethane as effectively.

Bill Mc 10-15-2006 07:35 PM

Waterproof Window Caulk

I have had the occasion to replace the portlights and skylights on my Hunter Legend. The Product that I used was called Boatlife Caulk. I removed the skylights using a piece of music wire thru the joint held with a vicegrips on each side my Firstmate and I used a sawing action to remove the skylight. After cleaning the surface and washing the area with alcohol I taped off the area around both sides of the window seam, applied the caulk, inserted the window and after about 20 minutes removed the tape. This product is said to even work underwater. However it is expensive. $10.00 USD for a small tube and about $18.00 for the size that fits in a caulk gun. It comes in clear,white and black.
Now when I put her over and the rail is in the water we have no water intrusion.

Fair Winds,

Bill
S/V Tumbleweed

alanl 10-16-2006 08:39 AM

Maybe I'm new-fashioned, but I would not let silicone anywhere near a boat of mine. Polyurethane conversely, comes in different grades for use as a bonding agent and/or sealant and if properly applied on a clean, dry substrate, will outlast silicone by a factor of 10 and with none of the disadvantages. I can't comment on US availability, but the brands available here are primarily SIKAFLEX (A Swiss brand) Selleys and I'm sure 3M and Dow have them too. They are commonly used in the building, automotive and even aircraft industries. Try an Internet search

Cheers

Alan