SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Schaefer furler new sail question

556 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mark Olander 
#1 ·
Hello, I am sure the old sail had the luff tape cord in the bottom furl extension below the sail feeder. The sail feeder does not seem to allow for this as there are no feed slots on the bottom side. I no longer have the old sail, but I am starting to wonder if the cord had a piece cut out where the feeder was.. the feeder would have to be removed to start the cord in the bottom furl extrusion but then it could replaced once the cord was in the slot. This does not seem right, and I am sure the furler was not designed to have a sail installed this way. So can someone help me out?

#2 ·
Typically the luff of the sail is free of the extrusion between the tack fitting and the feeder.. In some cases it may be/have been possible to backfeed the lower lufftape into the foil but it really makes no sense to do so, nor is it in any way necessary. All it would do is complicate the sail removal or sailchange.

Connect the tack, feed the head luff tape through the pre-feeder and feeder, connect to the bottom of the swivel, attach the halyard and hoist away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.