Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-04-2006

JHodor is on a distinguished road
head water intake smell

yes we all know water sitting in the intake line can turn to a pure sulfur smell.

What has anyone done to combat this? I've added the inline blue pills but that doesn't seem to do it. The first flush each time we get back to the boat is awlful. This is a newer boat and I know my system is set up properly. Even it only 6 hours goes by the next flush is bad.

I've replaced the intake line a before to start fresh. This helps only for about 2 months.

Help please? Thoughts on how to fix this? Chlorine tablets in the intake line?

I've started a process of always shutting off the seacock to pump the head real dry. this doesn't seem to help much better and what it did a couple of times is cause an airlock in my system and the head wouldn't prime at all. I had to take off the intake and shoot a hose up there while pumping to get it to "take"

again thoughts???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I flush the head via fresh water before leaving the boat. A lot of it really depends on where you're sailing, since different waters have different critters in them. Have you tried closing the through-hull while still out on the open ocean, to see if the cleaner water out there helps keep the line from stinking as much...might be worth a shot.

BTW, you can generally prime a head by dumping water directly in to the bowl IIRC, but YMMV depending on which head you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-04-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I rigged mine up to run on fresh water. There are plenty of recommendations not to do this for health reasons, so you have to do it correctly. Wouldn't want to do this for cruising as it would use too much water and one would use the head enough to not have the smell anyway.
Peggy Hall has a book on the subject of head odors.