Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-10-2006

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I don't know what point you are trying to make here, but it looks very negative.

I was trying to be polite.

Bronze has never been a stainless steel, you see. Stainless is nprmally shiny (not always) and bright. Bronze has a coppery look about it. Bronze has lots of copper and tin in it, stainless steel does not... the chrome makes it shiny if you polish it. Indeed I have been on my boat and had a bonmze fitting in my right hand, and a stainless chainplate in my left. The bronze (to the right as I looked) kinda looked yellowy. The stainless (to the left as I looked) was all shiny like... you could see your face in it you see. I have witnesses too. Indeed there were three of us, and the other two nodded when I said that they looked different. Bronze it like that you see... the copper in it makes it look sort of yellow.

The prop shaft on my boat is all shiny like, and it's not yellowy. It's got a big pit in it too. That's where it was starved of oxygen in the presence of salt water (chlorides, like). It's not a crack... it a big pit. Keelbolts are like that, they tend to get wet and boats go out in the sea... salty, like. Keelbolts lile in bilges, bilges are wet, bilges often get oxygen starved.

I have a bolt that served for a while as a fastener for the sternplate. It's virtually eaten through, and still shiny. It's like 3/4" thick. It's stainless. It's not the stuff I'd dare use for keelbolts. Maybe duplex would work, but not that stuff.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Rockter, I appreciate your politeness. Try loosening the necktie, pouring a glass of recreational beverage, put on some soothing music (be it Grateful Dead or Beethoven, either will do) and read this again:

The correct kind of stainless is bronze.

I *know* that bronze is not stainless, that's what I'm saying. For some applications, the only correct type of stainless steel to use is (not stainless, it is) BRONZE.

You know, like when they say "The best man for the job is a woman" ?

I'll give you the doctor's note, it's time for a vacation!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook