SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dinghy Registration Numbers

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  RobGallagher 
#1 ·
I just recently purchased a PVC Dinghy..

Whats a good way to attach state registration numbers and stickers...

I have seen Paint, Vinyl numbers, Magic marker, on the tubes and free standing boards and laminated sheets attached to tubes...

Will the state sticker stay on the PVC if I deflate and roll up ?

What is a prefered method to display...

#2 ·
Hi Squidd,

The best product I've found is the Boat Number Plate. It is a pre-printed, flexible glue-on made for specific inflatable materials. [I have no affiliation...]

See if that might work for your needs.

Cheers!

Bill

#5 ·
I've seen the boat number plate. They look like a nice clean job.

Most recently, I just order my numbers from a vinyl lettering website. They come on a sheet, just like a boat name or hailport lettering would. Tape a hinge at the top and apply. Pretty easy. I actually expected it might not last, but it's held up very well. I do not, however, deflate the dinghy, so that type of flexing might be more stressful.

The only solution that some states don't allow are the number boards, that slide into a holder. Most require the numbers be affixed permanently. States also have minimum lettering height requirements.

#6 ·
Bought preprinted vinyl letters at defender or west marine , can't remember, cleaned the tubes ( inflated) with alcohol , stuck them on , they baked on in the sun all season . I deflate and roll it up each fall,
Inflate it again every spring and four seasons so far they are stuck on like glue ...

#8 ·
I bought the registration plate from boatnumbers.com

Came in a week and went on like a patch...

Seems tight to tube now, will report back in a year or two to report on how it stands up to being rolled up every weekend...

Attachments

#9 ·
Hey Squidd,

Thanks for reporting back, and I'm glad you are happy with the Boat Number Plates.

It is always good to hear when someone is satisfied with something you recommend.

Which glue did you end up using? [I ask so others reading this thread in the future can benefit from your experience...]

Cheers!

Bill

#10 ·
1 Season with the glue on "plate" worked just fine. My boat is hypalon RIB and stays inflated all summer.

I deflated the tubes for transport and storage this winter. What happens to it over the winter I'll not know until I uncover it and inflate. Good thing about the rubber plate is that I can just re-glue it if it starts to come undone.

Last dingy I used stick on letters but they wore off. I then went to a number plate that hung off the side and I lost one under tow and if it's a roll up, like my last one, you had to take them off before storing the darn thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.