Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-08-2006

dsbentley is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dsbentley Send a message via MSN to dsbentley Send a message via Yahoo to dsbentley
Parrothead Bluetooth Multiplex problem

I bought a Ship Module Bluetooth Multiplexer http://www.navstore.com/shipmodul_41bt.asp to ties in my Autohelm 50 depth, speed, and wind instruments along with my Raymarine 125 GPS with my Autohelm 7000 auto pilot and the AIS signal. I am having problems getting all this to work properly. The manual said to hook all the Seatalk date to the 4 terminal and then I should be able to hook up the GPS signal, the AIS signal and the Autopilot input into the other 3 terminals. Before I added this Multiplexer I had the Seatalk and auto pilot working fine but the plotter I use is out of date and uses C-Map cartridges that are no longer made and I am using the Map Tech software on my blue tooth Toughbook which handles the new AIS signal as well as inputs for the autopilot. In theory I should be able to hook all this up and be able to control the boat via the autopilot though the Toughbook and still be able to see the AIS traffic on the Maptech program. The last step will be to replace my Vigal radar with the new Raymarine and be able to see this as well on the screen.

Has anyone had any experience with this or been able to get a Bluetooth device to work like this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I would suggest that it would be easier for you to get a Raymarine Seatalk/NEMA conversion box. It converts NEMA and Seatalk in both directions. It also has a PC serial port. Part number is: E85001 It costs $159 at Westmarine. Wire the autopilot to the ST50 via Seatalk - the Seatalk then goes into the E85001. Connect the GPS to the NEMA in/out ports on the E85001. Connect the AIS to the E85001 if it supports direct NEMA in/out or if it connect directly to the PC connect it to your PC. Then connect the PC to the E85001s serial port.

That is how I typically accomplish what you are trying to do.

(I am an IT Professional by trade and do marine electronics and navigation on the side to amuse myself)

Cheers,

Todd
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook