Ghost pepper & bottom paint - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Ghost pepper & bottom paint

During a conversation with my diver the topic of best paint in his opinion came up. The two answers were 1) whatever I'm using now is very good and 2) to make whatever I'm using now even better would be to add Ghost pepper to the paint.

He said that nothing will attach itself and it's environmentally safe. I have never heard of this trick before so I'm putting out here for the forum opinion.

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old enough to know better

Re: Ghost pepper & bottom paint

I have heard of this, and I think that Practical Sailor did a test on this (or someone) and saw no improvement. Seems to me putting organic matter into paint can't be a good thing. Might start rotting and cause the paint to breakdown. Granted I have only heard hot pepper and with ghost pepper that stuff is a lot hotter than cyan for sure.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #3 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Found it:

The Myth Buster

In November 2007, testers applied Interlux Bottomkote and Interlux Bottomkote mixed with cayenne pepper to our Cape Dory 25 test boat to see whether the cayenne increased the paint's antifouling ability. Nearly a year and a half later, testers confirmed their last report that there is no difference in fouling between those sections with and without the cayenne additive. Soft growth, mainly at the waterline, and even some hard growth was noted.

The Cape Dory - daysailed several times a week and cruised occasionally - is kept on a mooring in the warm waters of Sarasota Bay, Fla.

If you want a good anitfouling paint, you might want to go with Coppercoat. It's way more expensive initially, but pays for itself in a couple of seasons, and lasts 10+ years.
post #4 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Don't know of the efficacy of adding spicy pepper to your bottom paint but wouldn't rate Cayenne as much of a challenge for a hungry muncher. You can get pepper that is 1,000s times hotter than cayenne. There is a spice company out of SF, I believe, that sells sells some of this ultra spice. Probably a good idea to wear full hazmat gear when handling it.
post #5 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Don't know of the efficacy of adding spicy pepper to your bottom paint but wouldn't rate Cayenne as much of a challenge for a hungry muncher. You can get pepper that is 1,000s times hotter than cayenne. There is a spice company out of SF, I believe, that sells sells some of this ultra spice. Probably a good idea to wear full hazmat gear when handling it.
I have a bottle of Naga Jolokia (ghost pepper) hot sauce at my desk. I put a drop or 3 in soup or on bland Chinese food to wake it up. If you put too much in, it won't kill you, but it may make you wish you could die.
Atlas likes this.
post #6 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
I have a bottle of Naga Jolokia (ghost pepper) hot sauce at my desk. I put a drop or 3 in soup or on bland Chinese food to wake it up. If you put too much in, it won't kill you, but it may make you wish you could die.
Yea used to work with a guy who keep crazy hot peeper sauces in his desk. Someone used some without asking, and he was literally in tears as he used the same about you would use with ketchup. Funny to watch, but he wound up having to go home for the day. He tired milk water soda, nothing would help. Taught him not to go into Sergio's desk without asking! He would have let him use it, but also would have warned him it was very hot. He also had diarrhea for two or three days afterwards! I can still see the sweat running down his forehead!
Rhapsody-NS27 and alctel like this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #7 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Why use the whole pepper? Why not just use pure capsaicin?
jppp likes this.

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.
post #8 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I heard a rumour that adding Llama poop to your bottom paint is very effective at deterring soft growth.
MedSailor likes this.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #9 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Yea used to work with a guy who keep crazy hot peeper sauces in his desk. Someone used some without asking, and he was literally in tears as he used the same about you would use with ketchup. Funny to watch, but he wound up having to go home for the day. He tired milk water soda, nothing would help. Taught him not to go into Sergio's desk without asking! He would have let him use it, but also would have warned him it was very hot. He also had diarrhea for two or three days afterwards! I can still see the sweat running down his forehead!
I hear you, man. Let me relate a similar tale from my own work.

The group I work in happens to have a lot of people who are hot food fanatics (mostly of Asian descent). One guy, a young Vietnamese man saw us putting ghost pepper sauce in our food, and he asked to try some. I warned him it was very hot, but he said that he grew up eating hot food all his life. So, I passed him the bottle and he put 6-7 full dashes on a piece of bread. Before we could stop him, he ate it. 30 seconds later he was in the cafeteria chugging his second bottle of milk.

If he hadn't been such as ass about it, we probably wouldn't have laughed so hard. He never lived that down. :P
post #10 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; Quite some years ago was sailing on a a sail training vessel, 12 crew, 6 staff. The directions said one tea spoon of hot curry in the meal the chef assistant put a table spoon of hot curry powder in the mix ! well we where all hungry and cold (sailing Irish Sea), No one could eat it so over the side it did go all the sea gulls swooped from miles around only to fly then dive bomb the water and stay there drinking sea water, quite funny to see all the Gulls from miles around gathered in a small spot all busy doing the same thing drinking sea-water trying to cool down still brings a smile to me now. AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.