Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2006

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Service life for winches

I just saw a lightly used winch for sale that exactly matches the model I have. Nothing is wrong with the current winches, but the sale price is so cheap that I am tempted to get the used winch for "spares". Am I going to buy a hunk of metal that will take up valuable space or is there a chance that I will get to cannibalize it sometime?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I've just completely overhauled all the winches on the old dear and reality is it's only the bits you can't see that need much TLC. If the used winch has not been maintained then you may well find things like the bearing races are completely shot. If the winch is a model that is still in production buying brand new internals might be a better way to go. All of that depends of course on just how cheap is cheap.
tdw

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-09-2006

svindigo is on a distinguished road
Servicing is WAY cheaper than buying a full spare...

If your current gear only needs regular service then buying a whole winch for spares is overkill. Tear down the existing gear, clean with kerosene, replace pawls and springs as necessary and you are good to go. The whole shebang is less than $20. A little more if you have more winches. (We have 10 on board) Of course if you just really want the new winch cuz it's a good deal, get it. You'll feel better.
Old 10-10-2006

I was afraid of hearing those answers, since I let my enthusiasm for getting spare parts get the best of me and bid (and won) on this winch. I think I've been reading too much about cruising in distant locations and have taken the warnings about getting spares for everything to heart. Oh well, at least I now have a spare winch.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2006

Lecy is on a distinguished road
What kind of winch is it? If, for instance, you bought a Barient winch and live in North America then you made a wise choice. Parts are almost impossible to find.
Old 10-11-2006

cassycc36 is on a distinguished road
Spares are good if you have old winches. I serviced all mine with a barient replacement kit I got at west marine for 20 bucks that had pawls and springs and the top-circly-thingy perfect. But one of the roller bearings was rusted and scattered all over the cockpit when I was working on one, in the middle of nowhere, and it was an old barient and i bet i would have had a deuce of a time finding another so if i had a spare I would have been good to go. So what I'm saying is you made the right choice. I am also a pack rat.
Old 10-11-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Arco - Hutton Australia purchased all tooling and stock of Barient, Barlow and Maxwell winches. I found them extremely helpful when I was servicing the old dear's Maxwells. http://www.arco-winches.com/welcome.html

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-12-2006

Well, it is a 44' Harken so I guess parts are available pretty much anywhere. Perhaps I can practicing my winch technique at home