Is This A Problem? - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-14-2016 Thread Starter

Is This A Problem?

Visited my boat last week and this is what I saw.

Is that hole going to be a problem?

Just kidding. I have had the saildrive removed to get the seal between the drive and the hull replaced. The mechanic is going through the sail drive while it's out. Some new seals, zincs, etc. and I would be good to go in the spring.

I was surprised at how large the hole is, and how thick the hull is. Lastly, the seal was original. The boat is a 2002 so the seal has been in use for 10+ years and appears to be in good condition. The factory service interval is 7 years but I will wait another 10 years to do it (with regular inspection of course).

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
DBC-NoSailDrive.jpg  

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-14-2016
grumpy old man

Re: Is This A Problem?

My Volvo sail drive seal was good two years ago when I sold my boat and the boat was built in 1978. I had bought a replacement but never needed it.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #3 of 18 Old 01-14-2016

You guys are making me feel better. I was worried the seals on my boat were 10 years old. I haven't seen the dreaded milky oil, but I was expecting it soon..

Since my boat is out of the water, I'm gonna do both seals to make myself feel better.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-14-2016
grumpy old man

The replacement parts for my seal cost me around $1,100. I loved that saildrive.

Bob's Blog ....

post #5 of 18 Old 01-14-2016

75 cents of stuffing 10 minutes a dental tool 2 pair of big ass channel locks and a good winters sleep.
Remind me how a sail drive is so much better than a stuffing box?
RichH, eherlihy, zeehag and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-14-2016
grumpy old man

Sail drives are far more efficient than a shaft and a P bracket. Less drag, better prop angle. Better in reverse. Bone dry bilge. Less noise and vibration. My sail drive required only minimal annual spring maintainence. Nothing could have been easier.
zeehag, Kesby and CVAT like this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #7 of 18 Old 01-15-2016

Personally, if I planned to keep the boat and already had the sail drive out, I would go ahead and replace the seal. Sounds like it could be an expensive part, but waiting for a leak down the road probably isn't the best way to signal replacement.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-15-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

you folks are lucky. the saildrive on my islander 26 was swiss cheese, and patched with jbweld. wheeee....
good thing i noticed the ingress of water so when i hauled out i had saildrive removed and hole patched well. no more sinking feeling. (2002)
make sure your zincs are good always.
the seals were perfect, the unit was toast. gotta love po maintenance or lack thereof

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Last edited by zeehag; 01-15-2016 at 09:20 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-15-2016 Thread Starter

Changing Seals

Absolutely!

The main seal that keeps water out will be changed. Additionally, some internal seals will be changed to make sure seawater doesn't get into the drive. The mechanic has the drive disassembled and is cleaning the raw water internal passages (lots of mussel growth), will install fresh gear oil, etc.

My boat is on a mooring so the zincs have it pretty easy. I have two new zincs ready to be installed. In the spring of 2014 I had sanded the saildrive leg down to bare metal, then primed it with the stuff recommended by Volvo and painted it with the recommended antifouling. I will check and redo as necessary this spring. I hope this prevents any electrolysis problems.

After two years with a saildrive I am very impressed with the performance. I can motor all day at 7 kts, back straight up, and the 2 blade geared folding prop is great for sailing.

Lastly, the Volvo web site is great for parts lookup, manuals, service intervals, etc. I can type the serial number in for the engine and drive and get all the info I need.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Personally, if I planned to keep the boat and already had the sail drive out, I would go ahead and replace the seal. Sounds like it could be an expensive part, but waiting for a leak down the road probably isn't the best way to signal replacement.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #10 of 18 Old 01-16-2016

Since you have it off and the engine moved forward, you should consider replacing the rear seal on the engine also.

Mark
miatapaul likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.