Small rechargeable batteries (AAA, AA, C,D) - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 01-24-2016 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Small rechargeable batteries (AAA, AA, C,D)

I have some devices aboard that use AAAA, AA, C or D batteries and I'd like to start using rechargeables.

What's the new tech? Is NiMH still tops because it's like NiCAD without the "memory effect"? (It's been a while since I've looked into this)

What about rechargeable alkaline? Is lithium rechargeable a thing in standard sizes?

So many brands and vendors to choose from. Battery quality, in both disposable and rechargeable has always varied vastly in quality. How do I find the good ones that will last?

Finally what about chargers? Bonus points to any that will charge from 12v, can be ignored without overcharging and accept multiple sizes.

Finally, I have to say that I like that usb/micro-usb lithium ion rechargeable devices are becoming a standard. Headlamps, flashlights, fans, and many other small devices. Very cool I think to have so many devices that can be charged or recharged from a single type of charger or portable power pack.

Medsailor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-24-2016

Re: Small rechargeable batteries (AAA, AA, C,D)

The lithium rechargable operate at about three times the voltage and will fry anything that asks for standard batteries. they also require different charging profiles.

Greg
post #3 of 40 Old 01-24-2016

Standard D cells are available free at most (just ask) life raft repack places .They are replaced annually at inspection time. Still goodenough for the girls I know.
miatapaul likes this.

Last edited by Capt Len; 01-24-2016 at 09:07 PM.
post #4 of 40 Old 01-24-2016

We started out with rechargeables and it kinda worked for a while. But they just did not hold the charge long and eventually we went back to buying batteries -- I have a ton of old rechargables that will not recharge any more.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
In the Black Sea
post #5 of 40 Old 01-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5499 View Post
We started out with rechargeables and it kinda worked for a while. But they just did not hold the charge long and eventually we went back to buying batteries -- I have a ton of old rechargables that will not recharge any more.
This has also been our experience. Wish it wasn't so.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 Old 01-24-2016

Dock
Quote:
I was going to comment thus. But Chuck beat me to it.
post #7 of 40 Old 01-24-2016
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Chuck--

Do you happen to recall the number of discharge/charge cycles your rechargeable batteries went through before they gave up the ghost? The rechargables might still prove economical compared with the relatively (I presume) greater cost of simply replacing batteries, No?

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #8 of 40 Old 01-24-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

sony rechargeables seem to work a while--have had some 3 years without loss so far.
i went from duracell many many from costco to sony rechargeables and i donot keep so many batteries around the boat-- clock, thermometer, and outside lights and spot are only things i have with battery needs.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #9 of 40 Old 01-24-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I am a long time RC modeler and would recommend NIMH cells. Buy from EBAY at about 50 cents per cell at AA size for standard cells.

There is a variant called Eneloop which do not self discharge as fast as regular NIMH cells. Cost about $1 a cell at AA size. I have some on the boat that are still going at 7 years and numerous cycles.

I am cautious about recommending any Lithium cells because they need to be charged with care but I have cameras phones and laptops all running on lithium cells. The internal charge regulators and cell balancing tech works well. If you go down the lithium route be sure you understand how to charge them and use something fire proof when charging.
post #10 of 40 Old 01-24-2016
HANUMAN

My AA and AAA rechargeable have done me very well. I get at least two seasons out of them so I'm very happy with them. Almost everything I have is LED. My LED spotlight is amazing, and it's not top shelf.

I plan on buying a new LED spotlight and/or maybe one of those super flash lights this spring.

Before inexpensive rechargeable batteries, I was stopping at the store almost every darn weekend to buy $10 worth of batteries. I do spend a lot of nights on my mooring so headlamps and hand held lights get used a lot.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.