SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Buoyancy in inflatable vests

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Cap'n Russ 
#1 ·
What does it mean when a vest is rated at a certain buoyancy? For example: What should the proper buoyancy given a certain weight of individual?

#3 ·
Bouyancy isn't as much importance here as keeping the face up, and out of water. As mitempo mentioned, most people are naturally bouyant, more so if they are Walmart patrons, even more so after they have stewed at Sea a few days.
I once took a Scuba Diving Class, and one test that was made was how much added Lead weight was needed to be neutrally bouyant at reasonable depths- I needed none. A natural Sinker.

Unless taking such a Class, the only way to tell is to try it out in Water, Salt or Fresh as appropriate. If you can float on your back, with limbs extended, and can just muse on the sky, you are bouyant. If your arms and legs hang down, and you go under when exhaling, you are not.
In any event, the Importance is keeping your face up and out of the water, especially if unconscious. Pretty much everything else is secondary.

¬Erindipity

#4 · (Edited)
Amazed at how many people don't attach a spray shield to their harness/inflatable pfd. Most people don't realize due to the way your arms and legs bend and their relative length you will tend to revert to facing on coming waves in any sort of a seaway. You may drown even floating face up. The spray hoods or shields are very cheap.
A good set up is the pfd/harness, locator of some sort, led flare, spray shield and line cutter or serrated knife. All add ons less than $60-70 ( except locator - like AIS ones) even going high end. If going offshore or anything beyond day sailing coastally use only hydro not salt pills.
Inflate at least once a year for >16h to check for leaks and periodically and before passage.

#5 ·
I sink.. my wife floats no problem. So the PFD really only has to provide enough bouyancy to make up for anyone's difference between their weight and their displacement. Mustangs' standard numbers is likely more than enough for anyone.

But if you have a lifejacket that's 'rated' for a 150 pound person, it will sink if you hang 150 pounds of lead off of it. Even 50 lbs would do it.

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Greg,

I understand the reason that some inflatable PFDs are offered in different buoyancy ratings to accommodate either large individuals, or individuals who carry extra weight when wearing the PFD [e.g., tool belts, etc.]

As an example, the vests we use [Spinlock 5D DeckVest with built-in harness] are offered in 2 buoyancies: 170N [38 lbs] and 275N [62 lbs].

Following is a snip from Spinlock's FAQs regarding the different buoyancy ratings:
Should I buy a 170N or a 275N Deckvest?
170N is the accepted standard for recreational sailing. It is a comfortable, wearable size that is not too intrusive and it provides significant buoyancy when in the water. The 275N provides significantly more buoyancy so is suitable for larger people and situations where additional weight might be carried, i.e. tools, steel toecap boots, etc. Remember additional buoyancy and size is not always an advantage as it is heavier to wear and harder to use in the water, i.e. if entering a liferaft, etc.
In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill

PS: We constantly remind ourselves and our guests that inflatable PFDs on US Flagged vessels only count toward the USCG approved PFD inventory if they are being worn... [Side Note: The Spinlocks we wear and referenced above are not currently USCG approved. Therefore we have additional PFDs onboard that are approved in case of inspection...]

#9 ·
It's also good to note that the Spinlock Deckvests come with all the above mentioned add-ons plus leg straps, water-activated strobe and lifting strops. Spinlock also offers a manual-only coverter you use to remove the auto-inflate feature of the Deckvest. This is important if you're below deck when things go sideways...

Hi Greg,

I understand the reason that some inflatable PFDs are offered in different buoyancy ratings to accommodate either large individuals, or individuals who carry extra weight when wearing the PFD [e.g., tool belts, etc.]

As an example, the vests we use [Spinlock 5D DeckVest with built-in harness] are offered in 2 buoyancies: 170N [38 lbs] and 275N [62 lbs].

Following is a snip from Spinlock's FAQs regarding the different buoyancy ratings:

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill

PS: We constantly remind ourselves and our guests that inflatable PFDs on US Flagged vessels only count toward the USCG approved PFD inventory if they are being worn... [Side Note: The Spinlocks we wear and referenced above are not currently USCG approved. Therefore we have additional PFDs onboard that are approved in case of inspection...]

#7 ·
Please understand something about buoyancy ratings: MORE IS BETTER.

It is not a matter of what you weigh or what YOU will need. I had to assist a scuba buddy who had an air failure, their BC wouldn't inflate either. So *my* BC, which had a very large buoyancy rating, was adequate enough to get BOTH of us well above the water.

If you go overboard and someone else goes in with you, or after you, you may very well well be happy to find you have "TOO MUCH" buoyancy. You can always bleed some out if it is too much. And if you need to swim at all, you will have to bleed most of it out unless you sidestroke or backstroke. They're designed to get your face up out of the water, and any modern one that doesn't come with a spray shield is strictly an "inland" PFD. That's been mandatory for some years now on offshore gear, because just the spray from a good breeze or rain, is enough to make you inhale water and drown in otherwise manageable conditions.

Check out the online reviews, and if you've never used one, check your out as well. In the water. If it doesn't turn you face up, send it back. And learn to use crotch straps. Without them, the vest rides up, and any portion of the vest that is above the waterline? Isn't providing any buoyancy at all.

Less buoyancy=less material=cheaper PFD.
Is "cheap" the way to buy lifesaving equipment?

#8 ·
We carry several inflatable vests all set up with the add ons. That way crew or guests get a choice. But far and away my favorite is not an inflatable but rather a Baltic. Except in the tropics find it the most comfortable and the foam acts as padding so has prevented some bumps and bruises. Lots of nice pockets and have set up stuff on lanyards attached inside the pockets. Still room for snacks to get through night watches. In storms the exposure suits the oil guys wear seem best. Unlike survival suits your feet and hands are free. Can't image getting into a gumby suit with it rocking and rolling while sinking. One piece so easy on/off. Dry and warm. Don't like any of the inflatables. They pull on you and are hard on your expensive foulies. If you actually fall all the forces are communicated to just the straps and leave bruises.
Think people might be pleasantly surprised if they look at the commercial stuff rather than just limiting themselves to yachtie stuff.

#17 ·
Bill-
PADI should still have your records "forever". But in many ways, the dive industry has gone backwards. You won't find a bright yum-yum-yellow BC, or a red one, or even a blue one in the stores. Nossir, everyone must have imprinted on James Bond stripping off a black dry suit to reveal the tuxedo under it, everything is black today. Safety? Be damned, there are divers left at sea off boats every month. Many are picked up by other passing boats. DAN has tried to use check-in tags (like coal miners use) but boat operators can't be bothered.
While PFDs have moved towards crotch straps because racing organizations know they work...diving BC's have dropped them, because they're not cool.
Oh, and if you haven't been diving, with a signed log book to prove it, in the last two years? Most boats won't take you out until you take a $200+ "refresher course".
Then the industry wonders why diving is down. (No pun intended.)

#18 ·
Thanks, HelloSailor,

Good to know.

It has been long enough since I last dove that I would want a refresher anyway- especially to become familiar with any new equipment. [I suspect they have made advancements beyond the bronze diving bell...

If we ever get to waters worthy of re-acquiring all the equipment, I have also contemplated one of the better Hookah rigs for 2 with a tow along float... That would likely sate my needs at this point... however, I did inherit bottle racks with our current boat...

Thanks again,

Bill

#19 · (Edited)
Regarding the safety sausage, the one from XS is the only one that I could find that was easily inflated by mouth, was small (many are HUGE) and was good quality.

Most are too big, need a BC to inflate with pressurized air, or are otherwise unsuitable.

The XS one is lacking in reflective panels but these can be added. There is a grommet at the top to which I recommend attaching streamers that will catch the eye on a windy day. Also a great place to attach a glow stick (very visible when moving) or a small strobe)

The device is also extra bouancy.
Can't hurt to have more. To that end, one company (oceanis perhaps?) Made one of these that had a zipper running the length of the tube. It could be folded in half to make a horseshoe which was held in place with the zipper. The horseshoe went around your neck. Quite ingenious I think but it was considerably bigger.

Edit:
Oceanic PSD it was called. Check it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
We're in the middle of prep for Annapolis to Bermuda this summer and I've been reading a lot of safety reports. One in particular that got my attention was the Rambler 100 capsize/turtle after losing her keel in the 2011 Fastnet. She turned turtle in about 60 seconds trapping many of the crew down below who had to swim through the inverted cockpit, dodge all the rigging, and make it safely to the surface. Because it happened so quickly and she remained inverted, many of the safety items (e.g. life raft, ditch bags) were left below. With that in mind, I thought having one or two "Spare Air" (of SCUBA diving fame) devices down below or on your person would be a good idea. They are rather pricey but they are also reusable. Just a thought.

One other thing, on the MOB1 AIS/DSC SARB, for it to be most effective, you need to program the MMSI of the boat you will be on into the MOB1. That way, it sends an MOB DSC message directly to the boat you just fell off of and most VHF radios have a built-in alarm for when they receive a distress call over DSC. Even though I have a handheld VHF with GPS & DSC, I'm most likely going to invest in the MOB1 for use during the A2B race.

#23 ·
Let me add even more to the drift...

The British publication Yachting World just published test results of the various AIS POB [w GPS and some with VHF DSC] devices available today.

FYI

Bill

Reactions: MedSailor
#24 ·
Interesting topic so I have (2) 2cent inputs

1) just as important as how much buoyancy is where it is. An inflatable wrapped around your neck and strapped to your chest will keep your face out of water.
But
2) I've done a bit of research on the inflatable vs non inflatable debate and I chose non inflatable mostly because I believe they are safer. Let the debate begin.

John

#25 ·
Interesting topic so I have (2) 2cent inputs

1) just as important as how much buoyancy is where it is. An inflatable wrapped around your neck and strapped to your chest will keep your face out of water.
But
2) I've done a bit of research on the inflatable vs non inflatable debate and I chose non inflatable mostly because I believe they are safer. Let the debate begin.

John
I feel similarly.. Though I wear a manual inflatable for the convenience. Push come to shove the auto inflate might not work, and if you're knocked unconscious the manual won't help you. And the only way to know if they work is to activate them... And then they'll need recharging.

#26 ·
As stated above the Baltic is my favorite. But will admit wear a mustang when in the tropics. Like the deck vest but it causes me to bend my head forward so is uncomfortable after awhile.
My big deal is concern when singling. So agree AIS makes best sense for crewed boats but there is a place for GPS so I can get buried.

#27 ·
I found that when I re-installed and started using my inflatable's leg straps, it was far more comfortable to wear. The leg straps are also supposed to improve the fit when it's inflated. I also manually inflate the bladder 1 per year to verify it's airtight and check all the internal systems like the water-activated strobe. My cylinder/auto-initiator is out of date so I will be jumping into a pool with it in April. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.