SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any Thoughts on Best GPS Currently on the Market

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mikehoyt 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new GPS and looking to spend $500 to $1000. The selection seems to be endless "now a days". Will be using it on sailboat for general California coast cruising. Aside from VHS & Loran C, no other electronics aboard. Any thoughts on latest make and model that impresses anyone - ie...Garmen, Raytheon etc. Thx.

#3 ·
I would highly recommend Garmin products in general. Given your price range I would think that you can/should get a WAAS unit with built-in mapping capabilities. Personally I have the GPSMAP76 WAAS handheld and it is excellent in every way. The user interface is very intuitive and I have found that the accuracy and features are both excellent. Good luck.

#5 ·
I find myself in the wierd position of owning three GPS''s, a Garmin, and Apelco and a Magellen. Far and away the Garmin is more intuitive and easier to use. It also has a more solid feel and seems to lock in sooner than the others although I can''t say that I have ever timed them.

Jeff

#7 ·
Well I have a Raychart 320... and I love it. I love the fact that I can put 2 C-Map NT cartridges in it and that it has a pretty good built-in map of the world (good enough for me to use around here). It has a large display (which I find a must as I use this to navigate by and my tiller is about 6'' from where my GPS is mounted so it''s important that I can read all of the numbers. It was one of the first to have WAAS capability and it is easy to use. Plus it interfaces with other NMEA and SeaTalk (Raytheon bus for AutoHelm, Weather, Speed, etc instruments). The price was right too.

#8 ·
I have a Magellan 315 handheld. It can mount in bracket in cockpit and can be powered directly from boats batteries if desired.

Think about where it will be mounted. If bulkhead might want something more permanent as the bracket for the handheld can get in the way.

Here is my chief complaint with my unit that I would think about when buying in future: The buttons are not illuminated! The display is lit so works great at night but selecting a new waypoint or whatever is frustrating when you cannot see what buttons you are pressing!

On the plus side of handhelds. You do not need to buy a new one everytime you buy a new boat! You can also take them when crusing, chartering, etc ...

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.