SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hit & Run

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  FreeAgent 
#1 ·
Recently, someone hit my boat at the transom. There is damage on either side of one line of my back stay( I'm new to sailing so I might have a few terms wrong) I am worried the damage is structural and i feel the back stay will end up pulling this peice off my boat. If anyone has had this problem or has tips on reinforcing the damage it would be greatly appreciated.
I am having trouble uploading pictures , but will upload them soon. Thank you

#2 ·
DO NOT UPLOAD PICTURES TO SAILNET!
Use Photobucket / Picassa / etc. and post the link using the "picture link icon" - the thing that looks like a yellow sky with grey mountains, and a grey moon.

File a claim under your insurance.

#14 · (Edited)
DO NOT UPLOAD PICTURES TO SAILNET!
Use Photobucket / Picassa / etc.
Realize this is an old thread, but I am Interested in why you said that.

The advantage of uploading the pictures here, is that they are then here for good. With Photobucket and other external file sharing services, if the account is closed or company changes rules, the link then dies and the thread is no longer useful. Some here are having that trouble right now.

#4 ·
That looks pretty serious. Definitely structural. Will need a professional or someone skilled in fiberglass work.

Since you say "hit and run" I assume you do not know who did this. Hope you have hull insurance or you will paying for this out of pocket.

#5 ·
You are not kidding someone smacked you! Looks like you need to get her up on the hard, find a fiberglasser and maybe even an engineer. Is it a Grampian? The boat may be a loss. (as in, it may take more $$ to fix than the boat is worth) I am so very sorry. I had a Catalina that turned out that way (cost more to fix her than she was worth)
Before you do anything, get some pro's to take a look at her.

#7 ·
that sucks, I will put the photos here so folks don't have to go off to photo bucket. If you don't have insurance I would be reading up on fiberglass work, and do not sail it till it is fixed. You may well be able to fix it without a lot of fiberglass skills, not that hard. Biggest issue is going to be working in a high stress area, I would error on the side of too much glass rather than not enough.

Left out the selfie!

guess eherlihy beat me to it.

#10 ·
The bad news is that yes, you took a big hit. The good news is that it can all be fixed. If you were skilled in fiberglass, your questions would be different, so I can give you some good advice: Every area has a go-to guy for fiberglass repair. Ask around to find him/her. Ask that person to give you a quote. It might be better for you to let him/her do the work. If you can't afford it, as that person for some options. It's been my experience that things work out. Good luck to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.