Gori Prop Problem - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-18-2006 Thread Starter

Angry Gori Prop Problem

Please be advised of a problem with Gori Propellers and their US distributor, AB Marine. The propeller can spin off and be lost. We lost ours while maneuvering to anchor in a harbor in Turkey. We notified AB-Marine immediately by email and telephone and left a voice mail message. Since the initial notifications, we have emailed them six times and called three times. They have never responded to any of these messages. After five weeks we were finally able to reach someone at AB Marine.

AB Marine and Gori Propeller have denied that this occurrence is a warranty issue. They claim that the prop can spin off only if it hits something or is installed improperly. I personally installed the propeller six months ago in the US. I know it was properly installed in accordance with the printed instructions provided with the propeller and we did not hit anything with it.

As I understand their position, if the propeller was installed properly then it cannot come off. Ironically, they claim in their brochure “Shaped Blade vs. Flat Blade Comparison” dated January 2005, that the propeller is so easy to install that “there is no chance of a mistake” and “it can be easily installed/removed underwater.” If the propeller is so easy to install that there is no chance of a mistake and then spins off, then logic suggests the reason it came off should not be one of improper installation. They cannot have it both ways.

I know this seems like sour grapes, but when I pay $2800 for a product, I expect to hear back from the company when I write and call repeatedly about a serious problem. Failing to respond to any correspondence for over a month is inexcusable. Be forewarned, if you buy from AB Marine or Gori Propellers and have a warranty or service issue – forget it. They only want your money. They do not care about you once they get it.

Gary
S/Y Vingilot
Lying Marmaris, Turkey
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-18-2006

Nice. I'll look elsewhere for a prop.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-18-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegroves
they claim... that the propeller is so easy to install that “there is no chance of a mistake” and “it can be easily installed/removed underwater.” If the propeller is so easy to install that there is no chance of a mistake and then spins off, then logic suggests the reason it came off should not be one of improper installation. They cannot have it both ways.
You are very naieve if you believe that any prop cannot be improperly installed and subsequently lost. While one would hope that Gori would be more communicative in this situation, it seems unreasonable to expect them to replace an expensive piece of gear that was installed by an amature with with unknown mechanical skills, under unknown circumstances. I understand your frustration in this situattion, but yours is the first complaint I have ever heard about either the props or the company. I believe Gori props to be well designed and manufactured equipment and would never hesitate to recommend them to a client.

post #4 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Gori Prop Problem

Hello Fstbttms, hows it going, I wonder if you could spare me a moment we are a long way from you in SW France near La Rochelle,
I have just taken my 34 footer out to clean and anti foul, I noticed the two blade fixed prop was running slightly out of true maybe as much as half an inch ..... yes slightly !! explaining why it only made 2400 rpm, anyway the chandler opposite had a two blade folding 16-10 on the shelf secondhand but looked as new showing no wear , I bought it and have since identified it as being a 'Gori'unit, I didnt pay particular attention to any make at the time but noticed a patterned stamp on it. I undid the two grub screws that located the pins that the baldes pivot on and bolted the hub in place to a torque that I dared go to with borrowed tooling (1/2inch allen socket) and I would estimate being the same as a head torque for a small 4 cyl engine ..... yes we do have them this side of the globe ! 40 or 50 ft / lb , then fitted grub screw that bites into the side of the brass nut and used locktight, (again as tight as I dare for this one) I then refitted the two blades and the two screws again did them as tight as I dare but didnt locktight those two screws simply because I may want to get it off one day and these screws go down the side of the groove in the pins and arent really under any load at all in my opinon, its in the back of my mind that I may run into problem one day and the pins work loose or am I worrying too much ?? appreciate any light you can shine on the matter , cheers Simon
post #5 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago

You want Loctite 242 on those screws.
post #6 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks guess I will dry her out in the next few weeks and do that to be on the safe side, I have after looking into it a bit further found that there are locking screws that go down on top of the screws ie 4 in total. I thought maybe loctite not required as often they are changed underwater. incidentally on a 1 inch shaft the torque of the nut sounded about right ? thanks again
post #7 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago

I want to comment on this thread. My previous boat had a Gori prop. In the 14 years that I knew the history of that boat the prop failed at least four separate times and Gori's warranty policy was to deny responsibility under all circumstances.

If you live in North America Gori requires that you ship the failed prop back to the factory. They would not accept the findings of their own North American representative as to why the prop failed. Gori's hipping and handling costs was wildly expensive. They were grossly non-responsive to emails or phone calls, They required money be wired into their account before they would ship the prop, which I understood, but then despite paying for expedited shipping and handling, Gori did not ship the prop for nearly three weeks during the sailing season.

I was not alone in this. The owners of sisterships experienced exactly what I did. We actually approached other manufacturers trying to get them to produce props with a spline pattern fitting our saildrive.

The experience was so horrible that I would not buy a Gori prop and would consider it a deal breaker if I were considering buying a boat that required one.

Regarding the setscrews, the setscrews need to align with the recess in the pivot pin. The first pin needs to be tightened enough lock the pin tightly into place and the second pin needs to be tight enough to act as a locknut. Both need to be put into place with the right locktite.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 1 Week Ago at 08:07 AM.
post #8 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
You want Loctite 242 on those screws.
How does one apply Loctite underwater?

Last edited by aa3jy; 1 Week Ago at 09:21 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago

You don't apply the Locktite underwater. You either haul the boat or remove the prop and do it on land. You don't need to remove the blades to remove the prop and the set screws are only for the pivot pins for the blades.

The OP did not say whether this was a prop for a saildrive or a conventional shaft, but the prop installation for the particular sail drive in my former boat was very finicky. The installation used very precise thickness plastic and metal washers some which I believe had internal tapers to be installed in the proper sequence and orientation, and a crown nut that had to be installed facing backwards to what I think most folks would consider the normal orientation. It was all locked in place by a cotter pin through the crown nut. The local divers could remove the prop and replace the zinc underwater, but my diver had me paint the washers red on one side and white on the other so that they could quickly tell forward and aft on the parts.

At least one boat in our fleet lost its prop, but the assumption at the time was it was an installation error. The yard that hauled my boat refused to touch those props under any circumstances due to their concerns about potential problems with the installation. That said, this may not have been a Gori problem but an issue with the saildrive design.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #10 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
You don't apply the Locktite underwater. You either haul the boat or remove the prop and do it on land. You don't need to remove the blades to remove the prop and the set screws are only for the pivot pins for the blades.
Haul the boat? Pull the prop? To put Loctite on a couple of set screws?

If the boat is in the water, remove the set screws, apply Loctite 248 to them and reinstall. This Loctite product will cure underwater. Do not apply it underwater however.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 1 Week Ago at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.