Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-18-2006
GO DAWGS!!!!!!

sailne1 is on a distinguished road
Winch Drum Re-Chrome

Anyone have any experience re-chroming winch drums?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hampton Roads, VA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2006

svindigo is on a distinguished road
If someone around there does industrial plating go to them. Be careful of the folks who do quickie chrome jobs for aftermarket cars/bikes. The stripper arms and drums on your boat will take more wear and tear than those. We found a local shop to do it. As I recall we spent about $500 to have 11 drums of various sizes and 5 stripper arms rechromed. Some were down to the bronze and others were just in the process of failing. I rebuilt the interiors and the chroming of the drums and stripper arms had us back in working order within a couple of weeks.
Old 12-15-2009

botanybay is on a distinguished road
Which chrome process

How did the rechrome process work out?

I have about 12 winches which need the same and I am having a hard time trying to determine which chrome process is the right one (hard chrome vs mirror, etc)

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010

FloridaWriter is on a distinguished road
I just sent off three winches for rechroming to New England Chrome Plating (New England Chrome Plating and Brass - chrome plating, brass plating, gold plating, metal finishing, industrial plating, boat restoration, motorcycle restoration, powder coating, fireplace, hard chrome plating, chrome, auto parts, antique, antique re). They are very familiar with sailing winches. The cost is about 400.00 and they will be back in about 4 weeks.

By hard chroming I think you are referring to engineering chrome which is not shiny and only applied to hardened steel. The shiny chrome is what you want for winches and what your winches originally came from the manufacturer with. It is a combination usually of first copper plating, then nickel plating and finally chrome plating. If the base metal is cleaned and prepped properly the chrome finish will not flake off, yet anything chromed in a salt water environment will eventually corrode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2010

botanybay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
I just sent off three winches for rechroming to New England Chrome Plating (New England Chrome Plating and Brass - chrome plating, brass plating, gold plating, metal finishing, industrial plating, boat restoration, motorcycle restoration, powder coating, fireplace, hard chrome plating, chrome, auto parts, antique, antique re). They are very familiar with sailing winches. The cost is about 400.00 and they will be back in about 4 weeks.

By hard chroming I think you are referring to engineering chrome which is not shiny and only applied to hardened steel. The shiny chrome is what you want for winches and what your winches originally came from the manufacturer with. It is a combination usually of first copper plating, then nickel plating and finally chrome plating. If the base metal is cleaned and prepped properly the chrome finish will not flake off, yet anything chromed in a salt water environment will eventually corrode.
Thanks! Exactly the information I was looking for and confirms what I have found to date. I have a local shop which should be able to do the re-chrome process but if that does not work then off to new england it will be...
Old 02-18-2010

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
I sent 4 of mine including a lot of the smaller parts like lock rings to Welcome to Paul's, the world's Premiere Restoration Replater and got excellent service and results at a fair price. One winch, now 7 years later is peeling. All others are 100%. I'm guessing a flaw in the prep caused the one to peel, but it's not too bad so I've left it alone. These guys do Harley parts, so I figured if they could serve that crowd and survive, they'd be ok to work with .

And they did a great job. They took a picture and inventoried each piece, set price, locked terms ....then proceeded. Very professional and pragmatic approach. Excellent results. Will go back in another 10 years if/when I need to.
Old 02-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why would you go back if 25% of their work is already peeling????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub911 View Post
I sent 4 of mine including a lot of the smaller parts like lock rings to Welcome to Paul's, the world's Premiere Restoration Replater and got excellent service and results at a fair price. One winch, now 7 years later is peeling. All others are 100%. I'm guessing a flaw in the prep caused the one to peel, but it's not too bad so I've left it alone. These guys do Harley parts, so I figured if they could serve that crowd and survive, they'd be ok to work with .

And they did a great job. They took a picture and inventoried each piece, set price, locked terms ....then proceeded. Very professional and pragmatic approach. Excellent results. Will go back in another 10 years if/when I need to.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-19-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Seven years is not bad for chrome that is used and out in the elements.
I've seen new parts that started to peel in two years.

If they gave a decent price, and only one winch shows peeling 7 years later, I'd be willing to use them again

Ken.
Old 02-20-2010

Neicy is on a distinguished road
I used American Plating Services Inc, Baltimore, MD. Had 2 winches plated, also door hardware (hinges & handles). Just had them done last summer and all seems to be good. He is at the Annapolis show each year. I recall the winches being approximately $150 each.
Old 02-21-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Winch bodies are bronze, aren't they? I don't get why sailors started to move away from bronze. Bronze is superior, verdigris looks cool, no stress cracks, less prone to cyclical load failure, no crevice corrosion, doesn't work harden. Bronze is the best material, why do people insist on chrome and stainless?