SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Floorboard setting

639 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mario Gauci 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am currently replacing all my Beneteau First 38 floorboard with new ones since they got wet and wood split up.

What is the recommendation for the final setting of the floorboards:

Should I set and finish (trimming if needed) the floorboards while the boat is on land? or should I wait until it is in the water?

I know this might be a stupid question however gravity got me thinking that once in the water, the keel will pull down on the hull and not push up as it is currently doing right now on land and in turn this might effect the shape of the bilge area where the floorboards sit.

The attached is the mid section (table part) floorboard of the boat.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
In an ideal world you could do it either place.. but reality is that some boats do deform on the hard and you will see a difference. Doing the final fit and finish while afloat is probably best.

Is there currently a visible deflection in the floor? Improper blocking could cause that or make it worse.

Reactions: Mario Gauci
#3 ·
In an ideal world you could do it either place.. but reality is that some boats do deform on the hard and you will see a difference. Doing the final fit and finish while afloat is probably best.

Is there currently a visible deflection in the floor? Improper blocking could cause that or make it worse.
There isn't a deflection for the naked eye to see however I bet it will show if I put a spirit level or square bar to it.
I will take your advice and finish off while afloat.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.