SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What sticks to teak?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  redcorvette1995 
#1 · (Edited)
The bulwark/toerail (forgive me if my terminology is wrong) is made of teak. It is bolted atop the hull-deck joint. The gel-coat on the deck butts up to this teak and goes slightly up it about 1/2 inch. My problem is that over time, where the teak and deck meet, small cracks have formed and water is ingressing somehow. I assume the cracks have formed due to the flexing of the teak.

I would like to seal these cracks along the entire length of the boat using something very strong yet flexible-- like 3M 5200. I know that 5200 will bond to epoxy, paint, and other materials very well, but I also need it to bond to the teak. Hence, my question. Will 5200 bond to unfinished teak? Would I need to maybe put epoxy on the teak first, then put the 5200 over that? I have found that 5200 DOES NOT adhere well to Cetol! Will epoxy stick to teak?

#2 ·
Sticking to teak

I know that if you use Sikaflex and coat the teak and gelcoat with Sikaflex primer you will have as adhesion as good as possible. I would be willing to bet that 3M has a primer for 5200 as well. Just be sure that the teak is freshly scraped and de-waxed just befor priming.

#3 ·
5200 will bond to teak.
I installed a dozen teak strips with it on Monday evening.
Wipe down the teak to be boneded with lots of acetone.
Let it sit for a bit then apply 5200 to both the teak and the surface being boned too. Works perfectly.

I recommend the fast cure version.

You will need a way to keep the teak in place until the 5200 hardens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.