Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-29-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Garhauer, Harken, Lewmar & Schaefer

does sound like a law firm..
i'm betting at least one of you has figured out where to buy the most affordable blocks.
i need some ratchet blocks for my new asymm, and some other assorted blocks to properly rig my reefing set-up..
ok..recommendations as to quality and affordability.
thanks...

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
While they will all do the job, I don't think this is an area where you should be buying the least expensive equipment - It will be false economy once it fails.

You may pay a bit more but you can't go wrong with Harken - and on a Sabre 30 a couple of ratchet sheet blocks shouldn't break the bank.
Old 10-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Garhauer blocks are probably the most affordable, and among the better looking, better built blocks out there. I don't much care for the Schaefer blocks, as they seem to be more prone to rusting than Garhauer, Harken or Lewmar.

Right now, Defender.com had some really good prices on the 60mm Lewmar blocks, and they ended up being slightly less than the equivalent Garhauer blocks, so I got some for leading the lines aft to the cockpit on my boat.

I've used both the Harken Hexamatic and Lewmar Ratch blocks. I like the design on the Lewmar better...but YMMV.

It would help if you said what size lines you're planning on running through the blocks, as the different sized blocks can be priced quite differently.

BTW, Garhauer isn't a cheap brand, at least in terms of quality. They are standard gear on a lot of new production boats, including Catalinas. However, I have not used a ratchet block from them. I don't even know if they make ratchet blocks, but am guessing that they must.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2006
purveyor of mischief

i'm not afraid to pay for quality..most of the blocks aboard are harken..however, what i really am looking for is "where to buy"...there seems to be vast differences in price for the same item from chandlery to chandlery..
harken provides a really neat interactive buying aspect..yet they don't suggest the 75mm carbo blocks, which i think are a nice balance of strength and value
so..the question at hand remains..who has the best deal on blocks..
Old 10-29-2006

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
I purchased the Harken rachet blocks for our asymetrical spinnaker and so far I am pleased. Beware that the snap shackle recommended in the catalog might not be correct. The snap shackle that fits the 2680 is the 884.
Old 10-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, Garhauer are only available direct AFAIK. Harken, Lewmar and Schaefer are available from most chandleries, so you'll have to do some price shopping. Defender.com has some good prices on the Lewmars as I was saying earlier.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-29-2006
purveyor of mischief

3/8 in
and damn..you guys are fast..i answered the first post then whoosh..there were 4 more..
thanks
Old 10-30-2006
Telstar 28

I'd go with Lewmar 60mm Synchro blocks...which have a SWL of 1760 lbs. and are designed for 8-10mm line. 3/8" line is 9.5mm. The single blocks are about $17.00 over at Defender.com. BTW, the sailnet price on the exact same block is $29.25. hmm... That's a pretty steep difference...72% higher than the defender.com price.

BTW, tried to post this four times last night, but Sailnet kept crashing... with the prices they charge, you'd think they'd be able to afford new servers.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-30-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
We have switched most of our blocks to Garhauer and have been very pleased with them. The Defender prices on Lewmar Synchro blocks are quite good - they are almost down to the cost of the Garhauers. But note that the Garhauer equipment really compares to the Lewmar Racing blocks, not the Synchro, and for those blocks Garhauer appears to keep its price advantage.

The spinnaker halyard turning block was one of our last Lewmar Ocean 2 blocks and I had not replaced it due to infrequent use. It failed this summer, sending the shive over our heads like a missile. I noted that it was the pin weld that failed, and the block opened up like a clamshell. A nice feature of the Garhauer and the Lewmar Racing blocks is, a design with no pin.
If you haven't handled the Garhauer in person, my advice would be to buy one of each, put them side-by-side, and I think the Garhauer answer will be obvious. Return whichever you don't like.
Old 10-30-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I'll second the recommendation of Garhauer blocks, if they carry the type you need. I have found their fair prices to be even lower by negotiating directly with the owners at boat shows. I purchased several lead blocks at the Newport International Boat Show this way. As SD & SF stated, excellent quality and designs - made in the USA.