Halyards - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-18-2016 Thread Starter

Halyards

Ok so I have an Edel 540 with 20ft mast.Before the season starts I want to renew Main and Spinnaker Halyards. Checked on a site which did the length calc for both given as 48ft for Main and 59ft for Spin. So my question is, which may seem a dumb question to those of you, who have been around the sailing world for a while, if the mast is 20ft thats 40ft and the cleats are on the mast why do I need 59 ft for the Spinnaker seems a tad long, or am I missing something. Even the Main is a little long, but I can live with that.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-18-2016
Sailor

Re: Halyards

Measure the old ones

It's better to sail in a boat and think about God than to sit in a church and think about sailing
post #3 of 4 Old 03-18-2016
Just another Moderator

The indicated lengths are probably assuming lines run aft, plus some extra to be able to trim for wear and tear at the masthead when in use over time.

As mentioned above, simply use the originals as a guide.. attach a light messenger line, pull them out of the mast (leaving the messanger line there) and make new ones, then pull them back in with the messenger lines you left behind. Easy enough to make the new ones a bit long for the same reason, or in case you intend to lead lines aft to the cockpit at some point.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 4 Old 03-18-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reponses and that's what was confusing because the given lengths from the calculator didn't match what's on the mast. As an electrician I am used to the old saying of 'better looking at it, than for it' but there's a limit.
Thanks again
and Faster you might also like A Ship is Dying by Brian Callison unless you`ve read already

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.