Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-01-2006

gconley is on a distinguished road
Transmission Heat Exchanger

Greetings,

I have just taken delivery of a Gulfstar Sailmaster 47. The boat was delivered by a professional captain arriving Newport RI on last Sunday evening (Oct 29/06). Yes the boat came through with reported 60 knot sustained winds and 30 ft seas. A testament to both the boat and captain.

Back to the problem, on routine inspection, the transmission (Borg Warner) was found to have seawater in it. The captain has suggested as has another experienced captain, that the heat exchanger for the transmission is optional. In order to get the boat to it's permanent winter berth in Boston, the heat exchanger was bypassed and the transmission flushed. It is running but I can't help but think this is problematic. I would appreciate any opinions this highly experienced forum can offer.

Thanks as always

gconley
sv Bacchus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2006

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
I have alot of expieriance with bigger gears on power boats. not much with bog warrner but if the manufacturer put a cooler on that gear then it probably needs to be there. a cooled gear will have a longer life. usually when a cooler goes the oil gets pumped out the exhaust with the water and the trans cooks itself. your lucky it was caught you probably got a pin hole leak. some times they can be repaired. zincs are critical in your cooler there are alot of differnt metals in one and they are usually the first thing to go if you have an electolysis problem. I'd fix it soon. thats just my two cent.
Old 11-02-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
Agreed the cooler is there for a reason.
It should be repaired or replaced.
The cooler temperatures at this time of year probably helped.
I think it would be a lot harder on the tranny come summer with higher air and water temps.
Old 11-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to third the motion to replace/repair the tranny cooler. Transmission coolers are usually there for a reason. On a boat, the confined space for the engine and transmission, and the lack of airflow, means that the transmission often builds up heat. In the summertime, especially in the tropics, you're going to have a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-02-2006

gconley is on a distinguished road
Thank you all - that was my thought as well. I have to get the boat moved this weekend from Newport to Boston. I will sail her most of the way as possible so. Does anyone have an idea where I might find a heat exchanger?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's a link to coolers...have one of them. Good product good folks.
http://www.tadiesels.com/oil-coolers.html
Old 11-02-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Also Diesel Parts Sales in Houston will send you one. Randall Cesar III helped me with my parts needs. Also, the Borg Warner velvet drive was designed for up to 300 h.p. so it is pretty tough. Long term I think I would return it to the original settup but in an emergency I would use it.

Last edited by pigslo; 11-02-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2006

Dawkahab is on a distinguished road
On Borg Warner Gears, especially 70 series, 71-73 etc. Coolers are not optional, In fact a very experienced BW repair facility advised me many years ago. that the cooler should receive the first(coldest) raw water, before it goes to the engine heat exchanger. My experience has been that depending upon hourd they should be rebuilt every 3-4 years. Lots cheaper than replacing a failed one.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.