Leaking Raymarine Autohelm Type 2 hydraulic pump... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter

Leaking Raymarine Autohelm Type 2 hydraulic pump...

Leaking Raymarine Autohelm Type 2 hydraulic pump...

Hokay...

Time to reach into the collective knowledge base.

Picture shows my leaking (Raymarine) Autohelm Type 2 ( the Type has to do with the volume it will push, and the tonnage of the boat, not a style) hydraulic pump. It's certainly decades old, as I don't believe that the prior owner installed it, making it at least 25 years old. Yet, it worked just fine until this leak.

As a side note, we had the same sort of leakage, which was (at that time) simply a matter of the bolts holding it together having worked loose; tightening it up and adding fluid and pressure got another 8 or so years of usage from it. The leak(s) seem to be coming from the bolts at the pump end; tightening did not cure it this time. I'm hoping it's as simple as an o-ring or grommet around the bolts, as there does not appear to be any gasket material visible between the housing parts. Close examination of the picture shows the spacer next to the pump body; the leak(s) come from the notch where the bolt may be visible. The notch is similar in size to the one at the sealed end next to my left hand. Why they'd make it that way instead of solid so the bolt was entirely inside is beyond me, but it is what it is.

As a hydraulic leak means that my hydraulic steering doesn't work, especially as we're parked (it didn't fully fail until we'd anchored, following a twisty-turny path to get to Treasure Cay -Thank you, Lord!) sort of in the middle of nowhere, this has my full attention of the moment.

Research shows that the current pumps don't look much like this one, so likely any parts will not be interchangeable. I donít have a Raymarine part number to go with this unit, so can't even be intelligent in asking for help with P/N xyz.

So, two questions:

From the picture, knowing that there is a label saying "Autohelm Type 2) on it, does anyone have a proper part number for this?

and

Has anyone rebuilt one of these for the same reason, or, if not the same, know what to do based on the above symptoms?

Thanks for any assistance!

L8R

Skip, currently stranded

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at Web-Folio -- Your Portfolio on the Web !
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
and/or http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson
Attached Thumbnails
Pump.JPG  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-03-2016

Re: Leaking Raymarine Autohelm Type 2 hydraulic pump...

There should be a shaft seal where the motor shaft goes into the pump housing. Metric, I believe. Good place to look.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.