Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Stan-

I'd agree that 5200 is too aggressive an adhesive and would also recommend BoatLife LifeSeal or 4200 for bedding the ports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Stan-

I'd agree that 5200 is too aggressive an adhesive and would also recommend BoatLife LifeSeal or 4200 for bedding the ports.
4200 or 291 or 231 for bedding the portlight frames, sure...but if it's plastic in the Great Lakes, you can go with the gasket stripping and silicone caulk.

C&Cs have these generally inadequate fixed portlights. Most people who do heavy weather in C&Cs either bolt through 1/2" Lexan on the outside (and seal with 4200 or something tough), or get creative and glass over the entire 7 x 36" portlights (varies from model to model) and cut out two standard 7 x 14" openings for bronze or SS opening portlights, which really cool the boats down and keep the humidity lower.

C&C was generally a great boat, but their companionways and portlights aren't, being a little light in the first case for offshore and a little thin in the second case, in my opinion. The foredeck hatches, almost all made by Atkins and Hoyle (and still being made), were excellent and have stood the test of time. I have them on both my '73 and my '88 boats.
Old 03-13-2008

Benjamaphone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
foredeck hatches, almost all made by Atkins and Hoyle (and still being made), were excellent and have stood the test of time. I have them on both my '73 and my '88 boats.
Thank you for the compliment on Atkins & Hoyle Hatches. My name is Ben Atkins and I have just started to get involved in the business. I hope that some of my inside knowledge regarding hatches, ports and davits will come in handy to some of the people on this board.

Those old hatches were originally made by my father and can be found on many of the boats built in North America during that time frame. We still carry all the parts and do a lot of repairs of the old acrylic, hinges, etc.
Old 03-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Benjamaphone—

Welcome to sailnet... good to have you here... but please read this post on the full disclosure policy on this site, as well as this post to get the most out of your time on Sailnet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-13-2008

I understand and apologize for not fully disclosing my professional position. Thanks for the welcome and I hope that I can add some value to these boards.
Old 03-13-2008
Telstar 28

Ben-

Glad to help And your input and advice is welcome.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
Hello,

I am requesting information on the fix of C&C 33 windows, that are just beginning to leak. These windows are glued into a recessed portion of the cabin walls from the outside. If anyone has had experience would appreciate your comments.

Thanks Tom
Yes, I have done this on a C&C-designed Viking 33, which is from a fixed port point of view, an identical job.

You'll need the "grey gasketing" common to CS, C&C and Ontario Yacht boats of that period, and you can contact Holland Marine in Toronto

Holland Marine Products

or South Shore Yachts, which has a large stock of superannuated C&C parts:

Boats.com

EDIT: Goddamnit, I did it again.

Anyway, Mr. Atkins, I have several of your products aboard my new-to-me steel cruiser, and while they are excellently made, you have to get the price of those replacement gaskets down!

Last edited by Valiente; 03-13-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2008

Sometimes the initial cost of excellence is high but in the long run it will pay off. The cost associated with the gasket material directly comes from the fact that it is a special high density neoprene rubber. This will last 5-10 times longer than conventional gasket material that is found in many marine stores. Also, the price of one or two gaskets will be higher than if you were to order enough to replace everything on your boat; as with everything, quantity = discount.
Old 03-14-2008

I'll keep that in mind as I would like to keep your portlights and hatches in for a proposed world cruise...they'll be put to the test, I'll say that much.

Call Peter at Holland Marine for the gasketing...he'll set you up. You should see what's at your former address...another stinking great condo....
Old 03-14-2008

I'm happy that you trust our products for such an extreme journey. They won't let you down!

As for the building, I was there the day it was taken down. It was a real shame because my Great-Great-Grandfather bought that property and the small house that was on it. But when the cost of carrying a small piece of land becomes as high as it has, the small guys get driven out to make room for the yuppies I would have liked to stay there but now we have a nice place in Napanee, where the air is clean and the taxes are low!
If you want to know more about that piece of land and its history I typed up a small blurb on link on our homepage, titled History.