Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-05-2006

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
Heater options

I have a diesel powered bulkhead heater in my Mariner 32. I am probably going to change that to a propane version. However, that heater is taking up space on a bulkhead that I could use better for crew space. What other options are there for heat on a sailboat. I have seen some small forced air systems and would like opinions on them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Having tried both kerosene/diesel bulkhead mount and forced air diesel I'd stick with the bulkhead. They seem to work exceptionally well in a small cabin , are cheap to run and quiet. I found the forced air heaters simply too damn noisy.

Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 11-05-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The diesel heater is probably more efficient and probably provides a drier heat than a propane powered version of heater. If your engine is diesel, I'd stick with the diesel heater, as it is often more difficult to get propane tanks refilled than it is to get diesel, especially in some foreign countries, where the tank fittings are very different from the ones you may have.

The forced air heaters, while providing very dry heat, are generally much more trouble as they draw significantly more electricity. Also, from what I've seen, they're a lot noisier. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
If you go with propane looke at the Dickinson propane fireplace. It burns outside air, so no CO2 problems and no moisture in the air. Also as the outside air intake is around the exhast (as a double wall pipe) the exhaust stays cool. It comes as a complete kit with nothing else to buy. I hightly recommend it.
Old 11-05-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Stick with diesel heat for all the reasons mentioned. Our Espar 4D Airtronic, five circuit unit, serves our needs very well and draws less than 3 amps when away from shore power.
Old 11-05-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We also run redcorvette's Dickerson propane bulkead heater - not as bulky as some other heaters, and if you have propane on board already that's not an issue either. As he said, no moisture issues as combustion air is piped in from outside and flue gases are vented outside as well, of course. Both include a circulation fan that works well (greatly boosting efficiency) but is rather noisy at high speeds, my only complaint.

It also has a glass door, providing a pleasant ambience of a visible flame - "fireplace" style. They produce a 9000 and a 12000 btu model, we have the 9000 on a 35' boat and had the 12000 on our last boat, a 40 footer. The smaller heater seems adequate on all but the coolest days.

The espars and their ilk make sense in a lot of ways, but during our last purchase process we saw many boats with espars etc. installed but not included in the listing because they no longer functioned. This put us off these types somewhat. On the noise issue, I think that's more a problem for your slip neigbour than for those onboard.