Backstay Adjuster - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
al brazzi

Backstay Adjuster

I want to add a backstay adjuster to my CS 30 the chainplate is way down on a reverse transom and there needs to be something between the lower attachment and the bottom of the adjuster. I need opinions on my choices. Some preliminary discussion with suppliers indicate I need a stiffer attachment than just putting it in the open like this.

1) make a long chainplate it would be at least 3' long so there is a solid support for the adjuster.
2) Just a short stay between the two points.
3) Another option I haven't thought of yet.

I cant do a split that would be too much work and theres a nice stiff honeycomb structure in the hull so its really stiff where the chainplate is bolted. Plus it would block the boarding ladder.

Also I haven't decided but Im leaning towards the Wichard ratchet manual adjuster, the hand wheel really doesn't have room the way the pushpit is made, with the cost and potential service issues the hydraulics are prone to I don't mind working the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
20160330_174240.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-02-2016

Re: Backstay Adjuster

CS 30 is not fractionally rigged. In my opinion a backstay adjuster will not add anything to the sailing performance of this boat.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-02-2016

doesn't the CS 30 have a baby stay? would not the adjuster go on the baby stay to pull some luff curve into the mast.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #4 of 16 Old 04-02-2016

I had a wheel-type mechanical adjuster on my Cal 9.2. It was masthead rigged with a baby stay. The mast was fairly flexible and i was able to put a bit of prebend in with the baby stay so I was able to put more bend in when I wanted with the backstay adjuster. I guess either your option 1 or 2 would work, though option 2 wouldn't be ideal with a heavy adjuster.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-02-2016
Just another Moderator

You'll probably have issues with any mechanical adjuster given the tight clearance between back stay angle and the transom itself. A self contained hydraulic would be easiest to use as the pump can be oriented to be accessible/useable from the cockpit.

For the others you'll need to raise the whole assembly. I think I'd get a rigger to fabricate a rod extension piece for that.

Being able to improve forestry tension will be nice; if the adjuster is strong enough and the mast section flexible enough you can induce some bend as well... Sometimes more than you'd like. Then you'll get to add some checkstays too

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 16 Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
CS 30 is not fractionally rigged. In my opinion a backstay adjuster will not add anything to the sailing performance of this boat.
I'm looking to flatten the luff curve to fly full main longer, I'm doing a lot of club racing and want to get the bend adjustable, while tightening the forestay at the same time. It could be bent and adjusted with the adjustable babystay but with no advantage to the forestay.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
doesn't the CS 30 have a baby stay? would not the adjuster go on the baby stay to pull some luff curve into the mast.
I could adjust both, but the babystay wouldn't tighten the forestay.
I see the advantage of slacking the rig at rest or downwind and thinking I will adjust the backstay instead of Babystay.

Exploring all options, Thanks.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You'll probably have issues with any mechanical adjuster given the tight clearance between back stay angle and the transom itself. A self contained hydraulic would be easiest to use as the pump can be oriented to be accessible/useable from the cockpit.

For the others you'll need to raise the whole assembly. I think I'd get a rigger to fabricate a rod extension piece for that.

Being able to improve forestry tension will be nice; if the adjuster is strong enough and the mast section flexible enough you can induce some bend as well... Sometimes more than you'd like. Then you'll get to add some checkstays too
I would put any one of them up at the same point, I guess the Hydraulic could be remote I've seen a combo panel to switch between Babystay and Backstay but I'm not going into that level of complexity or expense. I like the rod idea, my concern with the wire would be the twisting , I think tightening would be the same direction as the lay in the wire rope so maybe not so big a deal but the rod would solve all that. If I found it moved around I could add a plastic strut of sorts just to keep it still, its just 4-5" from the cap rail where it goes through the pushpit. The Mast is bendy, its Isomat, you can easily bend all you want just by pulling the Babystay standing in front of it. I would certainly be careful with the bend I'm thinking the Mast section width as a Max but haven't got specific guidance yet on that. Want to avoid check stays.

Thanks guys
post #9 of 16 Old 04-02-2016
Just another Moderator

Keep in mind that when you induce bend with a backstay on a masthead rig it's similar to bending a toothpick between your thumb and forefinger. As you bend the mast it will get overall 'shorter'. Without limiting this action you can slacken the shrouds and not get the full benefit of tensioning the forestay as the masthead gets closer to the deck.

Checks limit the bend to the optimum, allowing any further adjustment to firm up the forestay. And you can control each individual effect.

For full advantage they work together.. Esp on a bendy stick.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 16 Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Keep in mind that when you induce bend with a backstay on a masthead rig it's similar to bending a toothpick between your thumb and forefinger. As you bend the mast it will get overall 'shorter'. Without limiting this action you can slacken the shrouds and not get the full benefit of tensioning the forestay as the masthead gets closer to the deck.

Checks limit the bend to the optimum, allowing any further adjustment to firm up the forestay. And you can control each individual effect.

For full advantage they work together.. Esp on a bendy stick.
You mean like this? Once you get the bend you want you "check it" and then its just tightening the forestay. Would seem to intrude into the cockpit more than a running back. Running backs are "Only" used on fractional rigs?? Right. Is my Masthead Isomat going to bend enough for this to be an issue, I understand the issue with column strength as its bent, I do get some pumping in heavy air and try hard to avoid/alleviate that as I understand he dangers. I want to bend enough to flatten the luff curve and haven't gotten that specific with my sailmaker but want to work all this out before measuring. Thanks for the lesson. I understand the basics just need to get specific to my rig.
Attached Thumbnails
checkstay.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.