Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2006

khbritten is on a distinguished road
Sayes Rig windvane experiences wanted

We have a 45' Huntingford ketch with hydraulic steering and are looking into windvane options. The Sayes Rig is attractive because of its direct-to-rudder connection, and they claim it works well with a mizzen boom lurking overhead. I have also heard a remark that it isn't the most powerful unit. Does anyone have any experience with Sayes Rigs they would like to share? We are particularly interested in how it does in light airs, since we have South Seas ambitions. Any thoughts are welcome!

thanks,

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Part of the problem you might have is resistance in the rudder from the hydraulic steering system. Particularly in light air, the windvane may not have the ability to overcome the resistance caused by the hydraulic system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2006

Yeah, I am thinking about that too. I will need to install a bypass valve no matter what, and would like it at the helm for convenience. But I am not sure how much extra resistance would be offered by the 30' of extra hydraulic lines. Do you have hydraulic on your boat, and if so, do you have any sense of the drag from a bypassed cylinder?
Old 11-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't have hydraulic steering on my boat, but have worked on several boats that do have it. On one, the vane, a Monitor IIRC, was able to work via a bypass valve. On another, using another brand, it did not work even with a bypass valve setup.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2006
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Ahoy Surf N Turf

I had a Syae's rig on My Out Island and it was not a great unit in my tank. It was underpowered with my Hyd. steering. I switched over to a Hydorvane. A big improvement was noticed right away. Not only is it better in light wind, it makes a good emergency rudder. One last thing, no lines run into the cockpit. They say you can also put a tiller pilot on it. I haven't tried this trick, but I plan to as a backup.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Old 11-09-2006

Thanks, Dave. A couple more questions - how did you bypass your hydraulic steering when you used the Saye's? And when you say it wasn't good in light air, how light are we talking about? The Hydrovane certainly is a good alternative, but it's just so much *stuff* out there off the stern. How's your boat do in reverse with the Hydrovane?
Old 11-09-2006
Seinor Member

Ahoy again Ken

The bypass was easy, I didn't do it. It was onboard when I bought her. It was a couple of Tee's and a two way valve. It is a Hydranautics system.
Backing up is really no problem as the aux rudder can be locked in any position. The problem is remembering all the stuff hanging off the stern. Yes I did load test it, please don't ask me about that.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Old 11-09-2006

I guess I wanted to know where the bypass valve was located - how far from the cylinder? Do you have a sense of whether the weakness of the Saye's was due to hydraulic drag or just the mechanical advantage (or lack thereof) in the vane?
Old 11-09-2006
Seinor Member

Ahoy Ken

The valve was in the lazzerett, open the cover and it was mounted right on the edge so everything coming out would catch on it. LOL.

About the drag I am not really sure. I do suspect it was the hyd. cylinder. Even though, it was, in effect not it the hyd. circuit, it still had to move. and as you probably know there is quite a bit of drag from the cylinder alone.

I just got back from a delivery and waiting for my girlfriend to pick me up. I want to get laid!!!!!

I hope this helps you

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Old 11-10-2006

Thanks for the info, Dave, and I hope you had a *great* night!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.