Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2006

goldingds is on a distinguished road
WestMarine Offshore Apparel

Hey guys, what do u think of this getup?
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs.../11051/11209/1
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...oductId=234055

thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've used the bibs in question...if you can find a set that fits you properly, they're not bad at all. Don't forget to get them a bit large, if you're planning on sailing in cooler weather, as you need to fit thermals and fleece under them.

As for the jacket, it looks fine... but the text isn't clear on whether it has double or single cuffs on the sleeves. You really want to get a jacket that has double cuffs—an interior one with a neoprene, polyureathane, or latex seal that can essentially keep water from running down the sleeve, if you reach up to adjust a halyard or something like that, and an outer cuff that can go over your gloves, to prevent water from getting into the glove.

When I sail in the winter time, I wear 5 mm neoprene gloves and the combination of the two cuffs means that unless I actually reach into the water for an extended period of time, my hands and arms will stay dry, no matter the conditions.

One word of advice... don't skimp on foul weather gear, and get it a bit oversized. If you don't, in the long run, you'll really regret it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I actually have this stuff. We are quite pleased with it as it kept us warm and dry down the ICW and up in N.England in some 30-40 degree weather and rain. It does make you sweat and is not very breathable but at the price, what can you expect. Construction is good and the foulies have served us well.
Old 11-09-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Just a comment on it:

My wife's Henri LLoyd has lasted longer and held up better than my West gear... it is more expensive though. In all fairness to the West Marine gear, mine has gotten more abuse than hers (imagine that, huh?).

I got about 5-6 years out of my jacket, much of that in a warm climate where it was not worn in every storm. Still, for my money, I might end up going West for the next purchase for Offshore and a light Henri Lloyd for the coastal. I think Gill and HL make a better product. I don't know what the cost is b/t the West and Lloyd, but might be worth considering.

When did you buy your West gear Cam? You are in the tropics/sub-tropics too, right? Rain every day? What kind of use does it get?

- CD
Old 11-09-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I don't have direct West Marine experience, but what I like about our Gill foulies, is the lifetime guarantee. After 5 years of heavy use with our two sets of coastal lites, the sleeve surfaces began to abrade slightly. We had worn the Gill gear at a boatshow during a heavy rainstorm a couple years back and while trying on new offshore gear, the Gill rep saw the wear and offered to replace both sets with their latest designs.

We of course, accepted his offer - at no cost to us. He even gave us a great discount on new offshore jackets.
Old 11-09-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
My West gear lost its 'waterproofness'. Got some mold in it, and it went downhill from there. Still, for those reading this, I will say that my gear gets a lot more use than the average consumer. Still, I was a bit dissapointed.

My wifes HL has stood up much better.

True Blue, I like the gill stuff too. Nice to know that.

- CD
Old 11-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I like my Musto and HL gear.. .
I see it as a long-term investment, since some of my foul weather gear has lasted over 14 years...If you spread the cost out over that amount of time and look at it that way, it makes it very affordable...especially, if you consider how much more enjoyable sailing is when you're in good foul weather gear, and how much more comfortable you are in it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-09-2006

goldingds is on a distinguished road
Yeah, this jacket does have the double-cuff. Inside it's kind of a latex / wetsuit type material.

edit: also, I'm getting these for $126 apiece new, so I think at that price it can't be beat
Old 11-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CD...we got our stuff about 5 years ago but frankly didn't use it that much since we spent lot of time down south and it is way too warm for that except on a few night passages where the damp can eat at you. We used it a bunch on our various fall/spring ICW passages and up in New England for one summer. Presently in NC and will pull it out of the locker again for a trip to Norfolk next week. Again...I don't think it stacks up with the Musto or Henri LLoyd stuff...but when on sale it is a very good value and will suffice for most folks needs.
Old 11-09-2006
Telstar 28

Golding... at that price it isn't bad at all. Even if it only lasts four or five years, it should be worth it.

Telstar 28
New England