Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-10-2006

simple72 is on a distinguished road
My Chainplates

Hi,

I'm the newish owner of an O'day 272. The boat came cheap after the Surveyer detected some moisture in the starboard chain plate.

After reading Don Casey's Hull and Deck Repair I got the impression that I just needed to pull, inspect and reseal the plates.

Now I'm thinking that I should add the additional steps of drying the core with a heat gun, cooling then flushing the area with accetone. Then (i think) I'll dig out about a half inch of the core and fill with thickened epoxy. reinstall, seal (Boat Life), ect.

SO...three questions?
Does this sound like an appropriate course of action?

What kind of damage to the plates indicates replacement

What exectly is the bulkhead? A local 272 owner asked me "how are your bulkheads?" Many of the 272 racers out here have these threaded rods bolted to the hull that attached to the chainplate via a SS turnbuckle.

Thanks for your comments,

Rich NYC/Eastern LI

PS Keep in mind that I need to keep this on the cheap
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
The bulkhead is the "wall" between "rooms" on a boat and is many times structural holding up the "roof" (deck) and many times the chainplats are bolted or fiberglassed to it. If the chainplate is not sealed ten water gets in and rots the wood so it is bolted to mush. Your repair depends on extent of rotten wood (if any) and if your chainplate is bolted to it. Sometimes the chainplates are bolted to a solid fiberglass hull and the only thing needed is to fix the leak.

Pigslo
Old 11-10-2006

simple72 is on a distinguished road
Bolted into Wood

Thanks for the Reply.

They're bolted into a big chunk of what looks to be teak or other tropical hard wood.

I'll check it out next weekend
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If they're bolted to a big chunk of wook.. replacing the wood and then sealing it from moisture intrusion is a very good idea. As for removing the core and potting it with thickened epoxy, that's always a good idea on a cored deck or hull.

Having the chainplates bolted to the hull via a turnbuckle is useful, since you can adjust the tension on the chainplate. However, you really need to make sure the hull section you're attaching it to is properly reinforced to take the load of the chain plate, especially, if the chainplate was attached someplace else to begin with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I need to keep this on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple72
Hi,

I'm the newish owner of an O'day 272. The boat came cheap after the Surveyer detected some moisture in the starboard chain plate.

After reading Don Casey's Hull and Deck Repair I got the impression that I just needed to pull, inspect and reseal the plates.

Now I'm thinking that I should add the additional steps of drying the core with a heat gun, cooling then flushing the area with accetone. Then (i think) I'll dig out about a half inch of the core and fill with thickened epoxy. reinstall, seal (Boat Life), ect.

SO...three questions?
Does this sound like an appropriate course of action?

What kind of damage to the plates indicates replacement

What exectly is the bulkhead? A local 272 owner asked me "how are your bulkheads?" Many of the 272 racers out here have these threaded rods bolted to the hull that attached to the chainplate via a SS turnbuckle.

Thanks for your comments,

Rich NYC/Eastern LI

PS Keep in mind that I need to keep this on the cheap
Yikes, didn't the surveyor advise as to the scope and nature of the necessary repairs? From my experience there is often nothing more expensive than a cheap boat...If the surveyor has left you clueless, you should take this tread to an O'Day forum to find out what other owners have faced. There are a lot of these boats, you won't be facing something unique. Here's an example thread to review: http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums...06311124214.40

In general if you have wet core you need to dry it out, if the core has rotted you need to replace it. If you chainplates attach to a bulhead (panel) and the bulkhead is rotten, now you face some real work, this is where cheap could become expensive. Good luck.

FWIW always remember that a seller has close to perfect knowledge about the boat being sold, whereas the buyer has at best only a partial picture of what the seller knows, how partial depends on the throughness and expertise of the surveyor. At best a buyer pays what a boat is worth, often as not they pay more than its worth.
Old 11-10-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
IMHO, the surveyor should have at least taken you aside and said "lookie here bub, this(these) chainplates are leaking, and heres the resultant damage...(the core surrounding the plates may be wet, it may have seeped "a fer piece", so you've got deck repair to do as well, hope you're good with 'glass) To repair the plate leaks, you'll have to yank these doo-hickies(highly techinical term), pictures... http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums...06310212941.84 and replace the wood that they're attached to...rebed the chainplates with xyz's fantastic chainplate sealing goop, re-tention (gawd, is that a word?) the rigging, and hope for the best. Or pay the yard about 4k to have it done. "

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CP-

it would be re-tension... Retention is the ability to keep something...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-10-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
the cuban says something about me being "a***-retentive" ain't that the same thing? LOL
Umm, I gotta do laundry, then i can go sailing, seeya, luv ya, mean it.
(this quitting smoking thing is a bi*** and a half, please don't take anything i type here for the next couple of days too personally)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

CP--- that may mean you're constipated...since your retention is anal...

I'd say that you might want some Nicorette gum to take the edge off the nicotine cravings...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-10-2006

I can't be constipated... I know 'cuz my head is up there most of the time and I can see everything just fine.
I'm on my second day of "chantix". I'm off to the boat, without smokes, I'll be sailing angry today.