Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-10-2006

goldingds is on a distinguished road
How on earth do you tie a boat shoe?

Hey guys I just got a pair of Sperry Topsider Authentic Originals (they're "Sahara" colored, in case you were wondering), but I can't figure out how the heck to tie them! Right now I'm using a square knot, then the usual bunny ears over them, but I'm sure there's a better way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
You're joking . . . right? But, in case you passed by the age of 5, go here:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/tying.htm
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, I don't think he is..the leather laces on the Topsiders don't tie well at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Get them laces wet, tie them once and forget it.
Old 11-10-2006

Basically, you get the laces wet so they tie better, tie them real well, then use them as slipons?
Old 11-10-2006

Alchemist909 is on a distinguished road
Yup

That's what you do. Afer a few years, the laces will get soft enough to actually hold a knot that is put in when they are dry, but initially, not a chance.

Steve
Old 11-10-2006
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
goldingds,

After having worn shoes for over 60 years I have come to the conclusion that Sperry Topsider Authentic Originals are not suitable for bluewater cruising. Your difficulty in tying them highlights one of their inherent problems. They are not real bluewater shoes but more suited to coastal cruising if one is careful and keeps an eye on the weather. The two rows of eyelets and lack of padding in the tongue make them less than desireable in heavy seas. In addition the lack of support at the arch adds to fatigue when standing watches on moonless nights. They clearly cannot compare to real bluewater shoes such as the Helley Hansen Latitude 60 with their five rows of eyelets and high backs. Much more stable in heavy weather and less likely to flex under stress resulting in a sprained ankle or worse. At the same price range as the Sperry I would go with the Timberland Traditional Handsewn three eyelet classic lug. Their roominess belies their tough exterior. Of course none of these can compare with true custom made bluewater boat shoes but now you're in another bracket entirely.

Sincerely,
Barefoot in a Beneteau.

Last edited by Vasco; 11-10-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2006

Well I was looking at this for more casual wear / sunny day day sail type shoes.
Old 11-10-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
You made my day!

Vasco,

You've made my day,
I love you man!!!!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey CP-

Thought you were supposed to be out sailing...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.