Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-11-2006

GWADE is on a distinguished road
What are the steps for Winterizing to stay in the water?

I live in Atlanta GA where the winters dont get cold enough to freeze the lake, so everyone keeps their boats in the water. However, I know that their are still precautions that need to be made to prevent freezing of freshwater on board.

I have purged the water out of the fresh water tank, as much as possible. Ive poured AntiFreeze in the holding tank. Ive closed fresh water valves for the deisel cooling lines, and for the head intake.

What else am I missing? Any reason for Bilge heaters? Any reccommendations for alternatives, like ceramic heaters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
1. Get the water out of all your water lines and replace w/ non-toxic antifreeze by pumping it through your lines till it comes out of each faucet or shower head. HOT & COLD!
2. Do the same with your engine's sea water intake by starting engine while you let it pump antifreeze till it comes out the exhaust.
3. Same for head intake ...pump till you see it in the bowl...then flush to holding tank.
Old 11-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

I don't think that will help, especially the part about the engine sea water intakes, since he's keeping the boat in the water. The anti-freeze will just diffuse out into the water and have fairly little effect.

If the lake doesn't freeze, and the engine and tanks are below the waterline, the raw water cooling system on the engine should probably be okay...but a bilge heater...one of the goldenrod type heaters is probably a very good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-12-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dawg...it does work. You close your through hull and remove the intake hose and stick it in a bucket of anti freeze and start the engine till it starts to come out of the exaust. This puts anti-freeze thorugh the entire water cooling system /heat exchanger so a freeze doesn't rupture anything above the water line. There is no way for the anti freeze to diffuse into the water as the seacock remains closed till spring and the antifreeze remains in the lines since it is not going to flow out the back because of the antisiphon loop. Sorry if I wasn't more specific as i was trying to be brief.
Old 11-12-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Cam has it right. You want to make sure the water in the cooling system itself doesn't freeze -- and I don't think whether it's above or below the waterline makes that much of a difference. Play it safe and run the cheap anti-freeze through the raw water side. Also, Boat/US does not advocate unattended heaters on boats of any kind as far as I know.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 11-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

In your initial instructions you don't mention closing the seacock.. If that is the case, then the antifreeze is unlikely to diffuse out...and the raw-water cooling system will be protected...

I also agree with the bit about not having unattended heaters on board a boat...and the goldenrod heaters my friends use are on a liveaboard boat, not an unattended one.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-13-2006

GWADE is on a distinguished road
Awesome, I did all this for the head and fresh water system, except for removing seacocks for the heat exchangers. I will be sailing her all winter, so I installed the bilge heater instead of this.

Thanks for all the advice!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.