Cast Iron Cooking - SailNet Community
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 Old 04-23-2016 Thread Starter
69' Coronado 25

Dock
Cast Iron Cooking

I am learning new cooking skills with cast iron skillets, my big question is: Does anyone use cast iron on their boat? if so: How do you store it?

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing." - Kurt Leisenfelder

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt Leisenfelder

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 04-23-2016

Re: Cast Iron Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
I am learning new cooking skills with cast iron skillets, my big question is: Does anyone use cast iron on their boat? if so: How do you store it?
Using an Induction Cooktop in my boat we use cast iron as it's the perfect metallic vehicle for heating with induction. We use the 9 inch skillet and season it with olive oil before and after use. No rust seen on it so far and after several seasonings no need to clean up other than wiping down with a clean cloth and the important part is wiping with olive oil or other oils to maintain it's non stick properties/rust prevention... better than teflon in some cases. We're happy with it and use a zip lock bag to store it during long periods away from the boat. We do have some stainless steel cookware onboard as well.
oysterman23 and socal c25 like this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 04-23-2016 at 09:49 PM.
post #3 of 90 Old 04-23-2016

Just keep it oiled after use. A vegetable oil is fine, canola or grapeseed are ideal. Olive oils have relatively low smoke points, especially extra virgin which is waste for cooking anyway.

BTW, a cast iron dutch oven is a great piece for a boat as well.

Glad you're having fun using your skillet. I'm an avocate for cast iron on boats because most stove top burners don't have enough btu's to get most other pans to retain the heat once you add food, such as a Rib Eye steak

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 90 Old 04-23-2016

Until this year, I had a 8-inch and 12-inch cast iron skillet on the boat at all times, seasoned it with Pam, which worked just fine. I brought them back home this spring (partly to preserve my marital status) and switched to something totally new, which I've been cooking with for about three months now at home. I've really been impressed with this pan, and it really seems to do a great job of spreading the heat evenly over the pan's s surface and never had anything stick, though I do use Pam when cooking Egg Beaters (which I believe could be used in place of epoxy). And, you can safely use metal utensils with this, unlike the older teflon pans.

https://www.redcopperpan.com/?uid=DF...S0XxoCtfjw_wcB

Additionally, the copper pans are very lightweight, and the 10-inch one fits very well on my boat's stove. The 12-inch cast iron skillet I used did not fit well, but I made it work just fine.

This year, I intend to do more grilling than cooking on the stove. I like all my meats and seafood grilled (better flavor IMO), and same goes for most of the veggies. Though, there are some veggies, such as baked beans, that still will be cooked on the stove. Same goes for stuff like spaghetti and meatballs, Ravioli, steamed broccoli with cheese sauce, stuff like that. And, of course, if I get lucky enough to chicken neck some crabs at an anchorage, they get steamed on the stove in my 7 quart saucepan. That reminds me, I have to grease the stove's gimbals. Also gotta buy some more propane cylinders for the grill. BJ's Wholesale Club had a great price on those a couple weeks ago - hope it's still on sale.

My sailing season kicks of Monday if the weather cooperates, and with luck, I might be able con my loving wife into going with me for a few days. Sure would be nice.

Good luck, and I'm confident you will enjoy cooking with those cast iron skillets,

Gary
post #5 of 90 Old 04-23-2016

A good cast iron skillet is hard to beat for pancakes, or anything else you need to put a lot of energy into quickly. Agree with the above about a good dutch oven.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #6 of 90 Old 04-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Just keep it oiled after use. A vegetable oil is fine, canola or grapeseed are ideal. Olive oils have relatively low smoke points, especially extra virgin which is waste for cooking anyway.

BTW, a cast iron dutch oven is a great piece for a boat as well.

Glad you're having fun using your skillet. I'm an avocate for cast iron on boats because most stove top burners don't have enough btu's to get most other pans to retain the heat once you add food, such as a Rib Eye steak
Strange - a post which is 100% correct. And to the point.
How could that be ... oh, name of poster says it all.

Thanks!

/J
T37Chef, Pegu club and socal c25 like this.
post #7 of 90 Old 04-24-2016
Old enough to know better

Cast Iron does take some time to get used to. I find it is hard to get even heat under it, and they tend to get hot spots. You really have to let it heat up on a low flame for a while before starting cooking, to let the heat even out. Look in consignment and Goodwill/Salvation Army shops for old cast iron, as it was made differently. Don't remember the technical differences but they do seem to have more even heat distribution and is thinner. If looking at a used one you want to use look for circular spots that are a different texture, that will be caused by a hot spot and skip that pan as it will never heat evenly. Brands to look out for include Griswold and Wagner. If you get a modern Lodge I suggest taking sand paper to cooking surface to really smooth it out. Same thing happens over the years of cooking but the Lodge is sand cast and there is too much texture, so if you smooth it out you don't have to wait 30 years before it becomes truly non stick. For some reason Crisco shorting seems to be the best thing I have found for seasoning. The only thing the X and I are really fighting over is cookware and knives. She seems to forget that I brought the knives and pans with me, and will take them with me! (many are from my culinary school kit)

I really want to get some carbon steel, but don't have room for more cookware! But if I were starting from scratch that is what I would start with. Inexpensive (relatively) light weight and fairly compact.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #8 of 90 Old 04-24-2016

Good points MiataP... Lodge cast iron is what I have and if you buy the more expensive one (difference of $10-15 in cost) it is already seasoned and has the smooth surface you are speaking of plus the heat treatment of the cast iron materials are made with rust inhibitors.

Lodge Rust Resistant 9" Cast Iron Skillet, Only at Macy's - Lodge - Kitchen - Macy's

Forgot to mention using the induction cooktop allows even heating throughout the cast iron pan and many cuisine chefs will know this.
T37Chef likes this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 04-24-2016 at 11:55 AM.
post #9 of 90 Old 04-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
............. most stove top burners don't have enough btu's to get most other pans to retain the heat once you add food, such as a Rib Eye steak
My favorite. Now all I have to do is to remember to bring the damn CI hog with me.
T37Chef likes this.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #10 of 90 Old 04-24-2016

A 4 quart Pressure Cooker and a 12' Cast Iron pan and I'm good to go! Usually clean it up at the beginning of the season and don't have to touch it again. But then I use it a lot. I disassembled my gas range and oven. So the cast iron plan also serves as my defacto oven on board too. Love making a home made pan pizza and having a glass of wine at anchor. Yum!
T37Chef and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Mike
Currently: Fixing things and waiting for Spring

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.