Bilge Pump Recommendation - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-09-2016 Thread Starter

Bilge Pump Recommendation

Hi All,

I am planning on replacing the bilge pump in our 1976 C&C 38 that we use for cruising/day sailing on lake Erie. I read an article written by David Pascoe recommending 3 pumps that can total 6000GPH. That's all fine and well but I hardly have the space in my bilge for one smaller submersible pump let alone 3 that can move 6000GPH. I was looking at either a Rule or Attwood automatic submersible. The boat currently has a Rule 800GPH with 3/4" hose. If I upgraded to a larger pump with a wider hose barb would I lose the higher GPH when I necked it down to the 3/4 hose that is currently installed? I would really prefer to not change the hose. We have a large manual pump that in my mind is the pump we would use if anything serious ever happened when we were out. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Joe
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-09-2016
Cruiser

Re: Bilge Pump Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdrvr393 View Post
Hi All,

I am planning on replacing the bilge pump in our 1976 C&C 38 that we use for cruising/day sailing on lake Erie. I read an article written by David Pascoe recommending 3 pumps that can total 6000GPH. That's all fine and well but I hardly have the space in my bilge for one smaller submersible pump let alone 3 that can move 6000GPH. I was looking at either a Rule or Attwood automatic submersible. The boat currently has a Rule 800GPH with 3/4" hose. If I upgraded to a larger pump with a wider hose barb would I lose the higher GPH when I necked it down to the 3/4 hose that is currently installed? I would really prefer to not change the hose. We have a large manual pump that in my mind is the pump we would use if anything serious ever happened when we were out. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Joe
Hi Joe,

The best automatic nuisance bilge pump I have found, and installed on my last 3 boats [and a friend's basement sump...] is a SuperSub by Whale. They make 2 models: 1100gph and a 600gph. Be sure to get the yellow automatic one. [they sell non-auto also...]

The reason I think they are the best auto pump for routine bilge pumping is they don't run the motor every couple of minutes like some of the other brands do... The electronic sensor can be tested by holding your hand on it for a few seconds... These also fit well in a low profile space, and only leave ~1/4" of water remaining when they shut off..

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-09-2016

While 3 pumps would be nice. Two is better than one. Your first pump should be a diaphragm pump. The capacity of a diaphragm will be limited but it can drain more water and leave you with a nearly dry bilge. The pump can and should be installed outside the bilge, with only a strainer and sensor in the bilge.

The second pump left in the bilge can be a much bigger one. It is a backup to the diaphragm pump and should never have to work. Make it as big as can fit. If you want a 3rd bilge pump it could be even higher up for when things go really wrong.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-09-2016
Old enough to know better

Yea, on my C&C 33 there is only room for one pump. I would love to have 2, and have the lower one with a check valve so it could get the bilge really dry then have the bigger one up a bit higher in case the small lower one craps out, check valve jams or just can't keep up. But would not use a check valve on a single pump for sure.

Lake Erie is a great place to sail! I used to sail out of Catawba Island.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #5 of 17 Old 05-09-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Rule 2000 Gold - BUT only with a Ultra Safety Systems Bilge Switch.

I have no affiliation with either company, other than as a happy customer.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #6 of 17 Old 05-10-2016
Dirt Free

Don't forget a high water bilge alarm.
zeehag likes this.

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
post #7 of 17 Old 05-10-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have two in our C&C 35 MKIII. Very shallow bilge as we have a centerboard. A Rule 2000 and a Rule 1100. Neither are the automatic ones. I am not a big fan of the automatic pumps.

I just installed an Ultra mini switch on Mainesails recommendation on the 2000 and the 1100 has a float switch.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 17 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdrvr393 View Post
....If I upgraded to a larger pump with a wider hose barb would I lose the higher GPH when I necked it down to the 3/4 hose that is currently installed?....
Pretty sure you would lose capacity. You also lose capacity for every foot of rise in the line to the thru-hull outlet. That loss is usually documented in the new pump's manual. If your bilge hose is not smooth inside, more loss.

If you routinely get a small amount of water in your bilge, from a dripping stuffing box or condensation from a fridge, for example, a diaphragm pump, with a separate float switch, is the way to go. You don't need any serious capacity for this and they won't allow the small amount of water they evacuate to drain back. Check valves are guaranteed to fail eventually.

If you want a real crash pump for emergencies, then mount one higher that your nuisance pump. I highly prefer a separate float switch, since I find that is the component most likely to fail. No sense having to replace the entire integrated pump.

As for capacity in general, I don't know too many boats with 6000gph in their favor. It's almost inconceivable to have enough capacity to keep up with a serious hole anyway. Even 6000gph is the flow rate of a 2 inch hole that is 2 ft below the waterline. The pump and, more importantly, the high water bilge alarm are only going to give you additional time to find the leak and stop or slow it down. The alarm should ideally have an external buzzer to allow others in your marina to summon help, if she starts to take on water, while you are away.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-10-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

have used automatic pumps and found they require replacement almost yearly. i have hd better good fortune with my rule 2200 with lever switch for automaticity, and a high water alarm that is a re-sourced yanmar screamer. ouch. cannot miss it when it goes off, which it did one time.
btw, those lever switches have a tendency to fail almost yearly, but i managed to have mine last a while-hoping due to cleaning it occasionally.
seems that oily bilges cause malfunction. it did that, malfunction thing, and i cleaned it and demanded it work. it does, by miracle, and has for a few years, so far. praise to the rule pump/switch gods and goddesses.
oh btw--some spout rule fail rule fail--- but each and every product and boat is different, and if you are on board more than merely a few times annually, stuff works better. funny thing about that.
i have 2 pumps, one under engine,manually operated (at switch panel) electrical pump, 2000 gph, and another one slightly highjer in elevation, 2200 gph. my bilges are hugely deep and boat is a wet bilge boat.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Last edited by zeehag; 05-10-2016 at 11:07 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-10-2016

I've had very poor luck with Rule pumps. IF they turn on they don't turn off. I have one left only because I bought a spare.

I've gone to Johnson for traditional bilge pumps but also have Whale diaphragm pumps. The Whale pumps work great but are not high volume. I ran a tee off the shower sump pick up and use it to suck out the forward bilge near dry. I bought one of Whales fancy no float switches, worked exactly once. POS.

I inherited a couple of Jabsco diaphragm pumps with the big boat. I rebuilt one to use as a utility pump but the damn thing won't prime with other than very marginal pressure head. Haven't tried the other.

There are competing theories about how much bilge pump power you need. FWIW I carry a high capacity pump, not fitted, but with exhaust hose and alligator clamps or 120 vac. My theory is if if I have a BIG leak I'll throw it in and the hose out a port. If water is below floors then I'm safe. But also I can use it for other tasks, like putting out a fire or what ever.

My marina launched a boat at absentee owners request. The owner had previously removed the sea water impeller cover and left it off and the sea **** open. So the boat was slowly taking on water. By the time it was noticed she was well down on her lines. Marina call fire company for a trash pump, which was useless because it would not fit down the companionway. A portable pump would have been nice that day.

Just my thoughts.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.