FOULIES - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-01-2001 Thread Starter

Looking for some preferences in light to medium foul weather gear. Pros-cons, price-performance, etc.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 11-03-2001
Chesapeake Sailor

Just bought Musto "Coastal". They are perfect weight for most summer and fall sailing. Recommend you first wear the heavier "Offshores" or "Oceans" from any of the manufacturers before buying. They are just too heavy unless you regularly sail in very cool-to-cold weather. In either case, get Gore-Tex! The Musto sales people were very up front about its superiority to ANY other fabric. We watched them talk a potential customer out of one of their own alternative fabrics (even though they lost a sale). Apparently the dealer profit is a bit higher for the other fabrics so you will get lots of "just as good or better than Gore-Tex", as you shop. (Gill & Lloyd had equivalent products as well).

post #3 of 4 Old 11-03-2001

I bought the Henri Lloyd TP2000 foulies last January so I have gotten some use out of them. It rains a lot here in the Seattle area, and it can blow pretty well here in the winter. Used them sailing in both fresh and saltwater, and an overnight race. What initially impressed me was the light weight of the set, but that they were still breathable. The fabric, advertised as using a ceramic technology, does perform. What impressed me even more after use was the terrific collar design. It looked rather large and daunting at first, but is very comfortable, dry, and warm in use. I''ve owned three other sets before, and these are definitely the best. My only caveat is the yellow matching seat and knee patches with really show the dirt. Would prefer darker fabric in these areas, like the Gill line, and may add it.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-05-2001

For the price you just cant beat Wetskins.

I ski in winter and it often rains. Was looking for something durable to wear over ski suit. Wetskins are thick enough to wear over sweater & sweatpants on ski days when it is warm enough to rain.

A year after buying these for skiing we bought a boat. In wet weather they are great. The Wetskins do not breath very well (if at all) but they are definitely waterproof. Great for early & late season sailing. Durable, warm and affordable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.